Cinnamon – Is there a definitive answer?

• This topic has 7 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Gambit217

Hi again chaps,First off, many thanks for all of your previous guidance and advice. It's such a relief to have so many experienced posters on here that can help with these tricky questions.I've searched the forums and read back over countless threads here in relation to cinnamon, i've also read through posts & articles on other forums but i'm still stumped.My question is this: What is the stance in relation to taking Cinnamon supplements on CNS?I know Cinnamon itself is known to improve insulin sensitivity, which i'm assuming during ULC times is good as we want to avoid insulin spikes?But does this then hamper your Carb Nites when the goal is indeed to spike insulin?Is it just better to stay strict ULC, use fats to blunt any potential insulin spikes (eggs etc) and just avoid cinnamon all together?Any help on this would be so gratefully appreciated.

It's perfectly fine. Most of the cinnamon you buy the the stores isn't the high end cinnamon used in studies showing it improves Insulin sensitivity and even if it was you'd have to use a good amount.

cloudybrain
    Participant

I don't see a valid reason to use it. When you're on a ketogenic diet, why would you want to consider using something that lowers your insulin if it should already be low. And when you're on carb nite, why use it when you need your insulin to spike beyond the threshold?I guess there's a valid reason why you'd want to look at it if you consume carbs day to day, over-stimulating your insulin levels. But the whole point of a keto-based diet is to make your insulin sensitive without the use of supplements; it should already be sensitive when you hit your carb nite.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't see a reason to use it either.  I do not think it will cause any harm though if you do.

cloudybrain
    Participant

True.. just harm to your wallet. I seen those bottles costing 12 bucks. I'd rather spend those 12 bucks on a steak :-p

Penny Danner
    Participant

True.. just harm to your wallet. I seen those bottles costing 12 bucks. I'd rather spend those 12 bucks on a steak :-p

+1 WORD!

Gambit217

Thanks for the guidance again peeps, i originally just started using it in ground form in coffee on ULC days just to really make sure my insulin levels were as low as possible but as you guys have already said it should be low anyways if i'm strictly keto, which i am as i always have 0 carbs per day bar minimal amount in fried eggs & usable carbs in brocolli.Agreed on the cost too, those pills set me back some money but i figure i'll hold on to them for when i'm not on CNS and eating carbs everyday to help offset things. 🙂

TCB
    Participant

Cinnamon as a supplement is a waste. Cinnamon as a delicious additive to some foods is fantastic.

marica smith
    Participant

Cinnamon in a cappuccino is delicious! 😉

Gambit217

Have to say I'm not the biggest fan of cinnamon in coffee myself, I find it can over power the coffee flavour too much. Now Cinnamon Swirls or buns I think we can all agree are just awesome. I could eat my body weight in those things!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cinnamon – Is there a definitive answer?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?