I’m losing muscle?

• This topic has 5 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,    Just looking for some guidance and wondering if I'm doing CNS incorrectly. Here's the background...I'm a 44/M, 5'8", 240# starting weight. I work as nurse in an ER 60 hours a week, no other cardio/resistance training in general, and definitely not for the next upcoming 6 weeks secondary to recent surgery.  I stumbled into CBL but realized quickly that I needed to lose some fat before starting (plus upcoming surgery) so I purchased CNS.     I started CNS on 7/16; beginning stats 239.7#, 33.6%BF per Omron device. By my calculations that's a LBM  of 159.7#, BF 80.5#. I have not kept track of macros until this week, just relying on mental carb calculation to stay under 30grams. This past week I started logging on MFP, I'm averaging between 1500-2000 calories a day with the macro breakdown running about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs.     Today (8/19) I'm down to 224.8# with a BF of 31.9%. That's a 14.9# weight loss in 5 weeks. I initially was ecstatic, but I became concerned when I calculated it out...LBM down to 153.1#, BF 71.7#.  That's a LBM loss of 6.1# with 8.8# fat loss. Are these numbers/muscle loss truly concerning or am I just overthinking this?? Do I need more protein and less fats? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Richard Schmitt

Unless you're doing countless hours of steady state cardio, or high intensity training (without proper meal intake), then you're not losing muscle. In this case you're not doing any of these. I honestly believe you're overthinking it. Congrats on your progress though. Eating enough fats and proteins will have a sparing effect towards muscle mass, and your body will use fats as the fuel source.

Thanks Big Tex, I'll try to focus more on how I look and feel as opposed to the numbers. I can honestly say that on CNS, I feel better, sleep more without waking and think more clearly. Kiefer has definitely given us some incredible tools…

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Overthinking it.  😉  I've never had any fancy gadgets -- in fact, I very rarely even weigh myself.  You can tell SO much more by how you look & how you feel.  Really glad to hear you are feeling so good.  That will make it easy to keep up the great work!  🙂

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Theres no way you are losing muscle at your body fat percentage.  Typically machines that measure body fat percentage include water weight in the LBM calculation.  On a diet like CNS, you will certainly lose quite a bit of water.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the input. I try and convince all I can about CNS/CBL but very few people, even those medically trained, can see the benefit of it. Oh well, to each his own.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the input. I try and convince all I can about CNS/CBL but very few people, even those medically trained, can see the benefit of it. Oh well, to each his own.

Don't try to win with words.  Win with results.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Shouldn't the macro breakdown be more high protein (110 to 200g), medium to high fat (80-100g) and low carb on normal CNS days, as opposed to fat dominant?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Shouldn't the macro breakdown be more high protein (110 to 200g), medium to high fat (80-100g) and low carb on normal CNS days, as opposed to fat dominant?

It can be, typically though a fat dominant macro breakdown is preffered.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

I counted my macros from CNS yesterday and it broke down about:140g protein140g fat16g carbsIt was a typical enough meal plan for me.I'm a guy about 160 pounds, 15% body fat or so.  Does that macro breakdown sound okay for me to get my body fat going towards 10% while keeping muscle and energy?How much fat in your CNS diet is too much?  And do you increase it if you are active?  If so, by how much?Right now I pretty much go by satiation and hunger with my meals.  I've just done it mostly by listening to my body, except cutting out milk in my tea, which I realised adds carbs from sugar every time (was up near 30g carbs the first few days I reckon, maybe even a tad past it).  Is that how you know, just by hunger and energy?I've still some sluggishness, even when I'm well fed with this, but that is probably to be expected in the first week anyway.But I actually think I look more ripped and muscular already, especially on my face and upper body.  I'm eating more protein than normal so maybe that is part of it.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I counted my macros from CNS yesterday and it broke down about:140g protein140g fat16g carbsIt was a typical enough meal plan for me.I'm a guy about 160 pounds, 15% body fat or so.  Does that macro breakdown sound okay for me to get my body fat going towards 10% while keeping muscle and energy?How much fat in your CNS diet is too much?  And do you increase it if you are active?  If so, by how much?Right now I pretty much go by satiation and hunger with my meals.  I've just done it mostly by listening to my body, except cutting out milk in my tea, which I realised adds carbs from sugar every time (was up near 30g carbs the first few days I reckon, maybe even a tad past it).  Is that how you know, just by hunger and energy?I've still some sluggishness, even when I'm well fed with this, but that is probably to be expected in the first week anyway.But I actually think I look more ripped and muscular already, especially on my face and upper body.  I'm eating more protein than normal so maybe that is part of it.

What you are doing now is pretty damn good. As far as the sluggishness goes, it may go away after you adjust.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Great.Is there a point of too much fat in a cns diet?And if you get more active and feel tired do you add more fat?

Richard Schmitt

There can be too much fat if you're over eating, which doesn't seem to cause fat gain, but don't expect any weight loss.If you get tired, lower the volume down on your training. Eat more overall if need be.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

I started with a rough plan based on the meal plans I saw in the book.  And from there I just play it by how I feel, if I feel fed enough, and if I feel I'm exercising the right amount.Seems to be fine.  140g of protein, 140g of fat, 14g of carbs seems about right for me at 160lbs and 15% body fat.Today I am ready to go down for the night and I've actually eaten less today.  128g of fat, 125g of protein, 12g of carbs and feel full in stomach and muscle and like I shouldn't eat more.  My head is saying go and eat a few slices of cheddar cheese before you go to bed, but my body is saying, 'everything's cool here bud'.Listening to my body feels like the right option, but if I'm still up in an hour and feel like eating I'll have the cheese.  Did I eat enough today?I just find it strange that people have such varying macro counts at times, on the same diet.I guess it comes down to how you look and feel and eating accordingly in amount and different macros.I look and feel more anabolic on this diet than the simple low cals diet I was on where I lost 10lbs of fat over a few months, even though I'd swear I'm also burning fat twice as fast now as well!My only gripe near the end of the sixth day is that I'm not fully with it mentally or physically, but hopefully that will be gone next week as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

I’m losing muscle?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?