ULC Bread Alternative

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi All –This topic was discussed briefly about a year ago, and I thought it might serve as a good reminder for those who are interested.Julian Bakery "Paleo Bread" is a fantastic low-carb bread that is great for ULC days. It can be found in the refrigerated section at places like Whole Foods or New Seasons. It's priced around $8 a loaf, which is pretty darn steep--but I think worth it  ;DIngredients:Purified WaterOrganic Coconut FlourEgg WhitesPsyllium Seed PowderOrganic Apple Cider VinegarPotassium Bicarbonate (Leavening)SaltNutrition Facts (1 slice):Total Fat: 1g  Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 75mgPotassium: 210mgTotal Carbs: 6g  Dietary Fiber: 5g  Soluble Fiber: <1g  Sugars: 1gProtein: 5gSubjective taste and palette observations: My first impression of the texture was that it felt somewhat spongy. The taste was a bit bitter, with accents of sea salt and vinegar. I particularly enjoyed this aspect, as I am a fan of vinegary products. However,  my fiance is repulsed by things like pickles, sauerkraut, etc. and would understand that this bread may not be for everyone. Without additional support, this bread was too dry. For context, I never grew up eating toast with butter or jam--I always ate it completely plain, and I loved it. Therefore, I feel that this bread must be especially dry for me to feel that way. I tried a piece with butter, and with butter and jam, and the latter was fantastic. If anyone has any good low-sugar jam options to contribute, that would be fantastic.Conclusion:a high-priced bread that can be a saver on ULC days when you're really craving toast or a sandwich. I'm impressed by the insanely low carb-count per slice. I plan to keep a loaf in the freezer--but make sure I always have lots of butter on hand--but why wouldn't I?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ULC Bread Alternative

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?