Stephanie Person youtube channel on Keto diet

• This topic has 7 voices and 29 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

If the whole point is to control insulin levels while on CNS, then why is it perfectly fine to take leucine and the new carb shock while in CNS?

Have you read the book?

Richard Schmitt

CNS and CBL can be designed to how you see fit. The point Curious was making is that your goal is to control insulin, not be in ketosis. IF you have some sort of medical condition or overly obese, then being in a keto-type state would fit you best.

Maybe for CBL, but the whole point of CNS is to be in ketosis.

No it is not, it is to control insulin as I previously stated. Even as Kiefer has stated multiple times.

Richard Schmitt

If the whole point is to control insulin levels while on CNS, then why is it perfectly fine to take leucine and the new carb shock while in CNS?

Have you read the book?

Better yet, listened or read ANY of the new material that has been released lately?

cloudybrain
    Participant

My impression was that you'd be controlling insulin in order for you to reach ketosis.. if not.. then what energy are you truly tapping into?

Richard Schmitt

My impression was that you'd be controlling insulin in order for you to reach ketosis.. if not.. then what energy are you truly tapping into?

The good quality fats you're consuming. That is what you're using for fuel, that's the whole premise of eating ULC. Ketogenic diets are different. Again, a pressing medical condition or overly obese would call for different measures in nutrition. As such would be a Keto diet, where you're eating more fats than protein. Your body will also be using body fat as the fuel source, not carbs. To revamp your metabolism and get hormones churning once again is why there is a refeed. Some folks can/need to go longer, so do not.

cloudybrain
    Participant

The good quality fats you're consuming. That is what you're using for fuel, that's the whole premise of eating ULC. Ketogenic diets are different. Again, a pressing medical condition or overly obese would call for different measures in nutrition. As such would be a Keto diet, where you're eating more fats than protein. Your body will also be using body fat as the fuel source, not carbs. To revamp your metabolism and get hormones churning once again is why there is a refeed. Some folks can/need to go longer, so do not.

So I guess here's where the confusion comes.. if people are on CNS to burn body fat.. when does the body switch over from breaking down consumable fats vs breaking down body fat reserves? I'm guess it's when you sleep and the first few hours after you wake up.. before you eat anything.. correct?

elmatth1

I'm not really sure what Stephanie Person is trying to prove by all of her ketogenic diet videos.  One of her videos show pictures of her before she started her ketogenic diet and after.  She was ripped before, and she's still ripped after.  I guess I just don't get how her diet has made her more healthy when she was clearly healthy and ripped before she even started the diet. 

case terrebonne
    Participant

You will continue to burn carbs if you are not in ketosis. The reason is that the GLUT transporter designed for glucose transportation into the fat cells needs to be turned off and the way to do that is by not eating carbs. I have read all the books and have listened to all the podcast. I also read as many of the referenced studies as possible.

cloudybrain
    Participant

My big problem with going on ketogenic diet for as long as stephanie has.. is if someone is obese, and they are losing too much fat, they might get into ketoacidosis. Because the body is producing toxic levels of acid to burning the abdunance of fat. I think stephanie never needed to worry about it because she never had that abundant supply of body fat to convert to ketones, but if someone who is obese is following her, they might run into a risk of too much ketones. Which is why I think carb nite is a safer alternative.Secondly, people might be losing way too much electrolytes due to a harsh balance of potassium, magnesium, and sodium.. which might be found in vegetables.. but this has been a huge problem for people who have been on ketogenic diets for a long period of time. People on ketogenic diets needs a higher amount of potassium and magnesium in their system.However, carb nite addresses these problems as it introduces these carb cyclic refeeds.As far as my last quesiton is concerned of when the body starts burning body fat as opposed to consumable fat. It's when you stop eating and enter a fasting state. Your body eats consumable fats to increase fatty acids to break down into keytones. Your body now prefers keytones instead of glucose and amino acids.. so when your body stops eating, then it starts grabbing energy from your body fat. But like I said.. if someone is obese.. and too much acid and ketones is taken out.. it would be really hazardous.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

My big problem with going on ketogenic diet for as long as stephanie has.. is if someone is obese, and they are losing too much fat, they might get into ketoacidosis.

This is just false.Ketoacidosis only occurs in people who are diabetic.  It happens when BOTH blood glucose AND blood ketones are high.There is also a form of ketoacidosis that involves alcoholics, but that does not pertain to this discussion.I highly recommend to anyone out there who wants to have a knowledgeable conversation about ketosis:  Read Jimmy Moore's book.  And/or read the work of Volek & Phinney, where Jimmy got a lot of his info. 

cloudybrain
    Participant

My big problem with going on ketogenic diet for as long as stephanie has.. is if someone is obese, and they are losing too much fat, they might get into ketoacidosis.

This is just false.Ketoacidosis only occurs in people who are diabetic.  It happens when BOTH blood glucose AND blood ketones are high.There is also a form of ketoacidosis that involves alcoholics, but that does not pertain to this discussion.I highly recommend to anyone out there who wants to have a knowledgeable conversation about ketosis:  Read Jimmy Moore's book.  And/or read the work of Volek & Phinney, where Jimmy got a lot of his info.

Thanks. I was reading incorrect info from a dietician on a diabetic website. Literally stating.. and I quote... "Burning too much fat can result in a dangerous condition called ketoacidosis, which means too much acid in your blood". I usually avoid these articles.. but I sometimes read on them as they explain things for the layman much better than reading an extensive study (which I normally do). One thing though, ketoacidosis doesn't matter on whether glucose is present or not, it's when there's a large amount of keytones present and there's not enough insulin to regulate the flow of the elevated fatty acids and the production of ketone bodies. If glucose was a factor, then it wouldn't be called "ketoacidosis".

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

One thing though, ketoacidosis doesn't matter on whether glucose is present or not, it's when there's a large amount of keytones present and there's not enough insulin to regulate the flow of the elevated fatty acids and the production of ketone bodies. If glucose was a factor, then it wouldn't be called “ketoacidosis”.

I'm sorry, but, again -- false.  Just... FALSE.  🙁Remember, we are talking about people who are diabetic here.  Generally Type 1, or Type 2 folks who are truly insulin-dependent.This occurs when they are not regulating their insulin well enough.You yourself just said:  "there's not enough insulin".  If there is not enough insulin for a diabetic person... what happens?I hope I can clear this up once and for all.From Jimmy's book:"When diabetics do not get an adequate amount of insulin, their bodies respond as if they are starving.  Their bodies think there's no more glucose to be had, either from diet or glycogen stores, and they switch to burning fat instead and ramp up ketone production so it can be used as an alternative energy source.  The problem is, these diabetics aren't out of glucose -- in fact, they have elevated levels of blood glucose.  Insulin is the hormone that allows glucose into cells, and without it, the blood sugar has nowhere to go and accumulates in the bloodstream, even as the body can't stop making ketones."

cloudybrain
    Participant

One thing though, ketoacidosis doesn't matter on whether glucose is present or not, it's when there's a large amount of keytones present and there's not enough insulin to regulate the flow of the elevated fatty acids and the production of ketone bodies. If glucose was a factor, then it wouldn't be called "ketoacidosis".

I'm sorry, but, again -- false.  Just... FALSE.  🙁Remember, we are talking about people who are diabetic here.  Generally Type 1, or Type 2 folks who are truly insulin-dependent.This occurs when they are not regulating their insulin well enough.You yourself just said:  "there's not enough insulin".  If there is not enough insulin for a diabetic person... what happens?I hope I can clear this up once and for all.From Jimmy's book:"When diabetics do not get an adequate amount of insulin, their bodies respond as if they are starving.  Their bodies think there's no more glucose to be had, either from diet or glycogen stores, and they switch to burning fat instead and ramp up ketone production so it can be used as an alternative energy source.  The problem is, these diabetics aren't out of glucose -- in fact, they have elevated levels of blood glucose.  Insulin is the hormone that allows glucose into cells, and without it, the blood sugar has nowhere to go and accumulates in the bloodstream, even as the body can't stop making ketones."

Okay so what happens when the blood glucose levels drop and you are out of insulin, but you can't stop making ketones and control the flow of fatty acids? That state would still be considered as Ketoacidosis.. and apparently.. this has occured with people who are diabetic and pregnant.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18588610There have been cases when alcohol can induce ketoacidosis, but leave the person in a state of hypoglycemia.. because of the alcohol that was taken:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12444383In both of these case studys, they were both defined as being in a state of Ketoacidosis. The proper definition does not include the levels of glucose, but is typically used as an indicator in most circumstances.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I am not entirely sure what your point is here.I already mentioned that there was alcoholic ketoacidosis, which does not pertain to this discussion.How does a pregnant woman pertain to this discussion?  I would hope she would not be trying to rapidly lose fat through a ketogenic diet.You brought up a concern about an overweight person losing fat too rapidly, causing ketoacidosis.  Which simply isn't true.  You went on to say that glucose was not a factor in ketoacidosis, which also is not true.  Glucose most certainly is a factor, and that is why you are now referencing studies that refer to glucose.I am not a doctor, and I am not particularly interested in reading studies about things that occur in very rare circumstances.  I have only responded on this thread to try to counteract some of the misinformation that has been stated here as fact.As I have already said, reading books that are specifically about a ketogenic diet can be quite helpful.  I highly recommend it.  🙂

cloudybrain
    Participant

I don't have a point, nor a basis or argument here. I'm trying to formulate a discussion here to get more truths and answers.. and thinking critically on this sort of information.plus I've been agreeing with you on all points.. thanks to you reading the book by Jimmy, I started to do more research of my own.. verifying everything you pointed out and then some! But only disagreement is the blood glucose levels in ketoacidosis:I'm referring to the studies of glucose because it's proof that glucose has nothing to do with ketoacidosis. You can get into what's called Euglycaemic diabetic ketoacidosis, which means ketoacidosis with people with normal to low blood glucose levels. YOU are referring to ketoacidosis for people who have relatively high blood glucose levels. Like I said.. anyone with diabetes type 1 can have ketoacidosis regardless of glucose level. I'm not wrong on this one. So no more referring to another one of Jimmy's quotes.. because obviously Jimmy doesn't know about this form of ketoacidosis.I'm not a doctor.. so I am less liable.. therefore can afford to make mistakes and admit to them

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stephanie Person youtube channel on Keto diet

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?