Heavy Cream in Coffee?

• This topic has 9 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Can we still burn fat in the presence of insulin and a steady but low release of glucose?I thought we could but in CNS Keifer seems to suggest not.But if you look at athletes then they burn fat even with slow releasing carbs being digested slowly into sugar and entering the bloodstream steadily.  Perhaps he is just talking about efficiency at burning fat.Also, isn't it a given that someone that wants to lose body fat will have to control carbs and insulin, unless they are training at or near olympic athlete levels?  I mean even just a low calorie diet will work, inefficiently but will still work or at least to a fairly significant degree, on the same principle.

Richard Schmitt

As Kiefer has mentioned before, you can burn fat just by sitting there typing your post, what you want is to mobilize body fat. So with the presence of insulin at the wrong periods of the day will not give you that, let alone the “steady but low release of glucose”. CNS suggest you get rid of glucose to get back to using fats as the fuel source and back to controlling insulin.Again Athletes, while a lot of folks here compete in a Sport, the majority on CNS or CBL do it to become healthy and have certain desirable goals. Athletes have to function differently and the ones you're thinking of get paid to be in that sport. Even Kiefer has mention "Special Circumstances" for certain carbs, 3-4 hour meet or form of calls for different measures. Last statement contradicts your first and third sentence.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

As Kiefer has mentioned before, you can burn fat just by sitting there typing your post, what you want is to mobilize body fat. So with the presence of insulin at the wrong periods of the day will not give you that, let alone the "steady but low release of glucose". CNS suggest you get rid of glucose to get back to using fats as the fuel source and back to controlling insulin.Again Athletes, while a lot of folks here compete in a Sport, the majority on CNS or CBL do it to become healthy and have certain desirable goals. Athletes have to function differently and the ones you're thinking of get paid to be in that sport. Even Kiefer has mention "Special Circumstances" for certain carbs, 3-4 hour meet or form of calls for different measures. Last statement contradicts your first and third sentence.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between burning body fat and mobilizing fat?

Spatz

You're always burning body fat, that's what we do as living creatures. Just sitting on the couch you're burning body fat. What we want is to mobilize already stored body fat, the stuff you see concealing your abs and other lovely muscles from view. The fat we're storing for a rainy day… we want the body to see that we won't be having any rainy days and it can just… let it go into the bodily functions for active use instead of storage.Mobilizing vs burning. 🙂

Richard Schmitt

As Kiefer has mentioned before, you can burn fat just by sitting there typing your post, what you want is to mobilize body fat. So with the presence of insulin at the wrong periods of the day will not give you that, let alone the "steady but low release of glucose". CNS suggest you get rid of glucose to get back to using fats as the fuel source and back to controlling insulin.Again Athletes, while a lot of folks here compete in a Sport, the majority on CNS or CBL do it to become healthy and have certain desirable goals. Athletes have to function differently and the ones you're thinking of get paid to be in that sport. Even Kiefer has mention "Special Circumstances" for certain carbs, 3-4 hour meet or form of calls for different measures. Last statement contradicts your first and third sentence.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between burning body fat and mobilizing fat?

I do not want to butcher what Kiefer has said in regards to both of those differences. I highly suggest going back and listening to his podcasts.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If you look carefully Tex and Spatz said "burn fat" (not burn body fat) and "mobilize body fat".  Burning fat means simply using fat for fuel.  That could be body fat, but it could also be fat from food.  Mobilizing body fat means you are releasing energy from your body fat stores, which will probably be used for energy.

cloudybrain
    Participant

So I guess it's trying to figure out what the threshold is.. imo I don't know if carb nite would still work if all we do is sit on a couch and do nothing. Kiefer has said that it would work.. but I have my doubts. I truly do believe putting in a high intensity work out in combo with a walking pace cardio would truly break the threshold of burning fat and cutting into your fat reserves.I simply don't see how sitting on a couch all day would get you lean by diet alone.CNS involves more fluctuations on insulin that previously thought.. with the foods we consume.. we eat tons of protein and tons of fat.. but the thing is.. at the end of the day, we don't want to break-even and not burn any body fat.. but at the same time.. we don't want to turn our muscles into glucose (which also raises insulin). So maybe this is one of the reasons why so many people here think cutting down on foods is the way to go.. because we don't really understand how eating more food would get you lean in spite of all that happening in the body.So what time of day does the body stop burning fat from foods.. synthesizing protein.. and start burning body fat reserves? Is it during the 12 hour fast between the dinner of one night to the breakfast of the following day?

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I simply don't see how sitting on a couch all day would get you lean by diet alone.

"Diet alone" doesn't accurately describe Kiefer's programs, or he'd just say eat this and don't eat that.Our bodies (and their processes) are largely influenced by circadian rhythms. Timing is everything, and he notes certain modifications that must be made if you can't follow the ideal recommendations due to work schedules and such.Many of your questions should be answered by re-reading the book(s) a few times. Digging thru Kiefer's posts on the forum won't hurt either. 😉

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I have read the book and I really haven't seen any answers about that. Plus he did state that this diet could still work without exercise.. but won't work for CBL.

Note that I said "re-read" the book. I usually glean something new (or forgotten) every time I go thru it again.FWIW, I can easily see why training is required on CBL (where you eat carbs several nights per week), as opposed to CNS with its once-per-week carb nite.

It is a bit confusing for me as to how your body would be able to burn fat in addition to the foods we eat on ULC and CN days, when it doesn't seem the body is capable of doing all that work in a sedentary state.

Your body will burn something 24/7, as fuel is required for every bit of "work" it does to stay alive (from cell maintainence to strenuous activity). By eating proteins and fats on ULC days, your body becomes accustomed to using fat as that required fuel, and protein (as usual) provides the required building blocks for cell growth and repair.So... as long as fat intake provides less fuel than the body requires, it will use the next available fuel source to make up the difference, which is stored body fat.

Anyways I don't wanna butcher this thread with this off topic discussion.. seems to happen a lot on this forum.. :-p

Lol, too late. 😛  But topic changes also happen with normal conversations in everyday life. 🙂[EDIT] Whoa dude... where did your post go? ???_

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

So I guess it's trying to figure out what the threshold is.. imo I don't know if carb nite would still work if all we do is sit on a couch and do nothing. Kiefer has said that it would work.. but I have my doubts. I truly do believe putting in a high intensity work out in combo with a walking pace cardio would truly break the threshold of burning fat and cutting into your fat reserves.I simply don't see how sitting on a couch all day would get you lean by diet alone.CNS involves more fluctuations on insulin that previously thought.. with the foods we consume.. we eat tons of protein and tons of fat.. but the thing is.. at the end of the day, we don't want to break-even and not burn any body fat.. but at the same time.. we don't want to turn our muscles into glucose (which also raises insulin). So maybe this is one of the reasons why so many people here think cutting down on foods is the way to go.. because we don't really understand how eating more food would get you lean in spite of all that happening in the body.So what time of day does the body stop burning fat from foods.. synthesizing protein.. and start burning body fat reserves? Is it during the 12 hour fast between the dinner of one night to the breakfast of the following day?

Carb Nite can certainly work if you are sitting on the couch all day.  What makes you think it can't?  To answer your last question, I'm not sure, but I'd imagine the body is always mobilizing body fat if insulin levels are low. 

Brian Timlin
    Participant

If you look carefully Tex and Spatz said "burn fat" (not burn body fat) and "mobilize body fat".  Burning fat means simply using fat for fuel.  That could be body fat, but it could also be fat from food.  Mobilizing body fat means you are releasing energy from your body fat stores, which will probably be used for energy.

Yea, that's the distinction that was confusing me.Also, why does eating fat help the body to mobilize body fat?Is it simply that the body goes after carbs and then when they are not being refilled by diet and the carb stores hit empty it will then go after body fat when there aren't enough dietary fats available?Again, I'm not sure if that's a complete explanation by any means.  There would appear to be many exceptions as well.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yea, that's the distinction that was confusing me.Also, why does eating fat help the body to mobilize body fat?Is it simply that the body goes after carbs and then when they are not being refilled by diet and the carb stores hit empty it will then go after body fat when there aren't enough dietary fats available?Again, I'm not sure if that's a complete explanation by any means.  There would appear to be many exceptions as well.

Because the body adapts to using fat as a fuel source.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Heavy Cream in Coffee?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?