psyllium husks and coconut/fish oil

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

cloudybrain
    Participant

I checked on the forum before asking this question to make sure this is new, and apparently we haven't discussed this yet.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7957006This article partly shows that when you consume psyllium husks that fat digestion is decreased, and your stool has an increase in fat. Which suggests when you consume fats, that psyllium husks prevent your body from digesting fats properly.There have been talks about consuming fiber and fish oil separately, but I'm not sure what the golden rule is. Some people say to drink your psyllium husk beverage, and wait half an hour before taking your fish/coconut oil. But I'm wondering if we should wait longer.Personally, I drink psyllium husks with a whey/casein blend early in the morning after my workout. I don't have any bloatedness. But just to be sure, I wait about 2 hours before consuming my coconut/fish oil supplements.What do you guys think?

TCB
    Participant

I'm not aware of anyone recommending psyllium for fiber at all for a long time now…

cloudybrain
    Participant

It was kind of advocated to use some kind of fiber supplement a year or so by Keifer. The mention of triple fiber was a point of interest because of the extra bloating.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlVNf0NrZMEHowever, some people have incorporated psyllium in their diet and they don't experience bloating. Initially I did experience some, but somehow my body was able to adapt and the bloating stopped. Maybe because I drink a ton of water a day.Fiber is actually pretty good at cleaning your colon with all the gunk left behind, and to keep bowels moving nicely. Especially after a carb nite, since some inflammation might start up the next night. Bacteria also within your colon can also ferment fiber and produce short-chain fatty acids which can also give your body some extra energy as well.More info about short chain fatty acids and dietary fiber:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12570825

Brian Timlin
    Participant

There might be issues with psyllium husks, apparently causes inflammation for some people.  It might bind to fat as well.I reckon the best bet might be to take benefiber with your veggies in the afternoon meal.  That's what I've started doing.Benefiber is wheat dextrin, so I take that means the kind of fiber we'd get from diet with grain carbs.We've all pretty much had a high grain diet at some point or other and I'm not aware of it having any major effect on fat binding, so I reckon this is the best bet.  Plus I'm not aware of any potential inflammation or allergic response, like a lot of people seem to get with psyllium husks.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

There might be issues with psyllium husks, apparently causes inflammation for some people.  It might bind to fat as well.I reckon the best bet might be to take benefiber with your veggies in the afternoon meal.  That's what I've started doing because I'm nearly two weeks in and I'm starting to notice some constipation.Benefiber is wheat dextrin, so I take that means the kind of fiber we'd get from diet with grain carbs.We've all pretty much had a high grain diet at some point or other and I'm not aware of it having any major effect on fat binding, so I reckon this is the best bet.  Plus I'm not aware of any potential inflammation or allergic response, like a lot of people seem to get with psyllium husks.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Psyllium husks might cause inflammation, but for some people that experienced it initially kind of goes away. You just have to be careful if you don't consume a lot of water otherwise psyllium won't work and might cause reverse effects of constipation.. and makes your stool hard. Psyllium absorbs tons of water.. so you have to keep hydrating yourself.Personally.. I only take psyllium for two days during ULC.. following a carb nite. I have heard of the reports that psyllium does binds to the fat that you consume, messing up the fat/protein ratio. So if you do ingest coconut oil.. it will bind to that.. and your body won't benefit from it.

There might be issues with psyllium husks, apparently causes inflammation for some people.  It might bind to fat as well.I reckon the best bet might be to take benefiber with your veggies in the afternoon meal.  That's what I've started doing.Benefiber is wheat dextrin, so I take that means the kind of fiber we'd get from diet with grain carbs.We've all pretty much had a high grain diet at some point or other and I'm not aware of it having any major effect on fat binding, so I reckon this is the best bet.  Plus I'm not aware of any potential inflammation or allergic response, like a lot of people seem to get with psyllium husks.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

So why not just use Benefiber and not worry about complications?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

psyllium husks and coconut/fish oil

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?