Anyone thinking of going on a full keto diet? or coming from such a diet to CNs?

• This topic has 14 voices and 22 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

+1! Prayers, Curious!My grandmother has Parkinson's and I told her to talk to her Dr about helping her with a keto diet to manage her symptoms and he told her he wouldn't, and that keto diets are "only for epileptics." So it's great to hear someone actually trying what research is showing to be beneficial! Best wishes!

Thank you.I am sorry to hear about your grandmother's doctor.  🙁  I do not see my doctor often, but he is pretty mainstream.  I have not even discussed this with him, and probably won't.  I have been on the lookout for a new doctor, one who is maybe on the Paleo or Primal doctor networks AND who is covered by my insurance -- and so far, I don't think one exists.  So I am on my own with this.That realization that we are pretty much on our own -- that is why I am doing this.  I've had 2+ years of abnormal test results with no answers.  No recommendations, no sit down and let's discuss this, just a very impersonal call from a nurse to let me know that they want to take another piece of my body that I will never get back.  I wanted to let you know that I emailed Dr. Thomas Seyfried personally, and he actually responded.  He emailed me a "kit" of information, which has a list of doctors who are experienced in using the ketogenic diet for cancer.  Lots of great links and info there.  For those who don't know, Dr. Seyfried is a professor of Biology at Boston College, and author of:Cancer as a Metabolic Disease:  On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancerhttp://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Metabolic-Disease-Management-Prevention/dp/0470584920/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413820548&sr=8-1&keywords=thomas+seyfried

Roadblock
    Participant

Would you say your BF% is high? Over 15%?RB

My body fat is 40% maybe more.

I remember a podcast where someone, maybe it was kiefer, said that people with higher BF % can benefit from a refeed period longer than every 7 days. I have heard of people having a CN every 10 or 15 days. Maybe someone else can chime in with the right information.RB

Richard Schmitt

Would you say your BF% is high? Over 15%?RB

My body fat is 40% maybe more.

I remember a podcast where someone, maybe it was kiefer, said that people with higher BF % can benefit from a refeed period longer than every 7 days. I have heard of people having a CN every 10 or 15 days. Maybe someone else can chime in with the right information.RB

+1 yep

gerry yerves
    Participant

If I remember right it was 10-14 days, but don't exceed that, you need to reset  metabolic functions. Does it have to be a carb night or just insulin spikes he said was unclear at this time, so unless you can find a way to spike your insulin several 2-3 times once every 10-14 days, then your gonna need the refeed. Patience fat loss is a process, its going to take some time.

John Shade

I just did 6 weeks of strict Keto. High fat, moderate protein, low carb. I was inspired by Peter Attia's experiments and thought I'd try them. I had everything dialed in and was in Ketosis the entire time. I kept my workouts reasonable and consistent. supplemented sodium etc… I felt literally amazing for the first 4 weeks, especially weeks 2-4. Incredible mental energy, I got quite lean, sleep was great etc. I should add that I started this diet at roughly 12%Bf, so my main goal was to have more energy. Unfortunately between weeks 5-6 I noticed a distinct change. It was definitely metabolic slow down. My entire system felt down-regulated. My strength went down. Low libido. Appetite was nil and I just felt generally lethargic and bored. I made the decision to do a sensible carb refeed. I did three short spikes. Had a few sweets but nothing insane. I never got sick or felt ill from the sugar and I woke up the next day feeling great. All the metabolic stuff was gone. Muscles were full and I felt leaner. I was back in ketosis in 2.5 days. Honestly I think the carb nite every 7th day is arbitrary. For some, like the above poster it serves more of a psychological benefit. There are so many individual factors(training, age, BF%, genetics etc) Some may only truly NEED a refeed every couple weeks. Some need one multiple times a week. I do think that a lot of the excess junk people eat on CNS is unnecessary. It helps do understand there are sensible refeeds and then are cheat meals. This is just my experience. You should eat carbs, when YOU need to eat carbs.  I loved the way that strict keto felt for those first 4 weeks but I don't think its a reasonable approach for most people. I t requires way too much tweaking and I didn't like being that hyper-vigilant about my macros.  In other words, its very easy to get Nutritional Ketosis wrong and its a pretty binary state. You're in or youre out. I think Kiefer is absolutely right, I just think that the CNS/CBL both require a lot of individualization. It takes time figure out what is right for you.For now I will eat keto and just do refeeds when my body tells me to do them, not every 7 days no matter what. Just my experience

billnyc
    Participant

I tried full keto with nearly zero carb intake twice.  Both times were for a few months and neither was a good experience for me.The first time I did full keto and lost a lot of fat but I felt very sluggish and just felt terrible overall.  I gave it up because I felt very unhealthy despite having fat loss and a flatter stomach.The second time I did full keto I did a high fat version where I added fat until I reached satiety.  I would eat my base low carb diet and I would consume kerry gold butter with the meals as well as blended into drinks until my appetite was satisfied.  I still felt like crap a few months on this diet and I gained fat.

cloudybrain
    Participant

I think Carb Nite is really based on how you feel.. like an auto-regulating thing on a weekly basis.What I've come to terms with doing throughout the last two years has been this.Carb nite would be a Friday. I'd check my weight in the morning on a thursday. If I lost weight, I'd go another week of ULC. If I stayed the same or gained weight the following thursday, I do a carb nite the following day.If at any moment you start to feel something ain't right with the body.. I'd have a mineral enriched meal that may have more carbs than advised (similar to a carb backload).. and the next day or so I'd stick in a HIIT regime. But I seldom hit rock bottom like that.. I used to do it a lot more earlier in the diet.To prolong my ULC so I don't suffer any thyroid problems or have any hormonial imbalance.. I take a multi-vitamin supplement that contains Selenium.. a Thyroid supplement that contains iodine (150 mg is used to create thyroid response.. but greater than 450 is too much). For heart palpiations, I carry around a container of salt substitute (potassium chloride).. 1/2 a teaspoon with sea salt (sodium chloride).. 1/4th a teaspoon.. and a supplement of 400mg of magnesium.You can by-pass supplementation if you take whole foods.. which I don't. Mainly because there are veggies that do have carbs in them.. and it can be expensive paying for them everyday.When playing around with multi-vitamins.. you have to find two supplements where it doesn't contain common ingredients.. so that it's non-interferring. Thankfully I found a multi-vitamin supplement that gives me everything I need.. and a thyroid supplement that only provide iodine and very low dosage of other minerals.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Fat loss hasn't really been a goal of mine for years, but I don't think I would do a ketogenic diet.  It gets very monotonous and boring, plus I never really felt that great when I went low carb for more than 6 days.  Not keto flu or anything, but digestive issues.There are also negative metabolic effects associated with being on low carb so long, such as thyroid down regulation and paradoxically, insulin resistance.I think ketogenic diets are fine to do for a short term diet (a few months) but they just aren't for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Anyone thinking of going on a full keto diet? or coming from such a diet to CNs?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?