Colorectal cancer and high consumption of red meat

• This topic has 5 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Eidah
    Participant

Sorry but how can this be ignored? How do ketogenic advocates answer these concerns? Colorectal cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer and is among the leading causes of cancer-related mortality. Long-term high intake of meat, particularly red meat, is associated with significantly increased risk of colorectal cancer. Food, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Cancer, a 1997 report by the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research, reported that, based on available evidence, diets high in red meat were considered probable contributors to colorectal cancer risk.Harvard studies including tens of thousands of women and men have shown that regular meat consumption increases colon cancer risk by roughly 300 percent.12,13 Proposed mechanisms for the observed association include the effect of dietary fat on bile acid secretion, the action of cholesterol metabolites within the colonic lumen, and the carcinogenic action of heterocyclic amines produced during the cooking process, among others. In addition, high-protein diets are typically low in dietary fiber. Fiber facilitates the movement of wastes, including intralumenal carcinogens, out of the digestive tract and promotes a biochemical environment within the colon that appears to be protective against cancer.4Similarly, the Journal of the National Cancer Institute recently reported that the rate of breast cancer among premenopausal women who ate the most animal (but not vegetable) fat was one-third higher than that of women who ate the least animal fat.6 A separate study from Cambridge University, published in the Lancet, also linked diets high in saturated fat to breast cancer.5

I'd like to give my professional, but unlicensed opinion  ;D.  Kiefer has often mentioned that fact that cancer cells are glycolytic.  I think this study is based on folks that follow the average american diet.  For those of us on keto style diets, there just isn't that much glucose floating around other than on our Carb Nite.  That one day isn't going to cause any medical markers to tank and there are likely many benefits to having this insulin spike coupled with the carb loading.  So, it appears, if there's low levels of blood sugar that the cancer cells have nothing to injest and therefore die.  I'd love to see more research in that regard.  Just lost my sister to brain cancer so would love to see others spared from that horror.

Keep in mind that the study that showed meat consumption was tied to cancer considered pizza in it's entirety as “Meat”. Very, very poor studies.

agentmads
    Participant

Agree with Trevor. This seems to me like the faulty assumption that correlation is the same as causation, which it is NOT, but made so in many cases.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Ketogenic advocates are advocating a completely different way of eating than was done in these studies.Are you wanting to continue to eat the SAD, and add in mass quantities of red meat?  Then these studies might apply to you.  Maybe.If you are wanting to change up your diet completely, and go ketogenic, I'd say start looking at the studies that are coming out that actually apply to a ketogenic way of eating.  Jimmy Moore's book Keto Clarity is full of references, and I've got this one in my Amazon cart to read next.  Volek & Phinney are both PhD's... I would assume they have lots of references, also:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0983490708/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DERIf you are worried about fiber, you can get plenty from non-starchy veggies.  (Yesterday I ate two whole avocadoes.  In each:  Carbs = 12, Fiber = 9.  So for only 6 net carbs, I got 18 grams of fiber!)  Or add in a fiber supplement, if you are still concerned.  Lots of people do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Colorectal cancer and high consumption of red meat

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?