Why low ketosis? If I am not eating any carbs, what am I burning then?????

• This topic has 7 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Eidah
    Participant

So I got the ketonix breathalyzer to measure my ketosis. It goes green for low , yellow for moderate .red for deep ketosis. My tests never go beyond green. So it seems that I am not in ketoses although I eat only meat and zero carps. I am in my third carb nite and lost 7kg already. I know crbe nite is not a ketogenic diet but shouldn't I at least have moderate ketosis?If I am not eating any carbs, what am I burning then????? Shouldn't I be burning fat?

You are burning fat, don't worry. Ketosis is more an excess of ketones beyond what can be burned for fuel substrate. Don't worry about ketosis unless you are doing it for endurance performance or health conditions

How are you feeling?  Mentally sharp and good energy levels?What motivated you to get the Ketonix?

Eidah
    Participant

How are you feeling?  Mentally sharp and good energy levels?What motivated you to get the Ketonix?

I am feeling better than ever. Lots of energy.I got the ketonix to measure how well I am doing on this diet thinking I am in ketosis.

I am feeling better than ever. Lots of energy.I got the ketonix to measure how well I am doing on this diet thinking I am in ketosis.

Sorry to say, but unless you are an endurance athlete or need to for health reasons, being a Ketosis doesn't matter at all so if you only got the ketonix for the sake of the diet, you wasted your money.

Eidah
    Participant

Thanks for reply Trevorxgage 🙂

John Shade

If you're goal is nutritional ketosis and not optimizing CNS then you're probably eating too much protein if, as you say, all you eat is meat. You'd have to lower that amount to avoid getting a gluconeogenic effect. I went full keto more for the mental clarity, which is an added benefit but like the other poster said, ketosis only really matters if you're using it for endurance training and long term Keto IMO requires way too  much concern and engineering to to be a sustainable lifestyle.

Eidah
    Participant

If you're goal is nutritional ketosis and not optimizing CNS then you're probably eating too much protein if, as you say, all you eat is meat. You'd have to lower that amount to avoid getting a gluconeogenic effect. I went full keto more for the mental clarity, which is an added benefit but like the other poster said, ketosis only really matters if you're using it for endurance training and long term Keto IMO requires way too  much concern and engineering to to be a sustainable lifestyle.

Thanks Johnwhen  I said all I eat is meat, I mean no carbs or greens. I actually dont eat more than 200 grams per meal in my two daily meat meals. I also have two eggs in the morning. I think I eat zero carbs high fat and moderate protein. Could it be that my weekly carb nite affects that? I mean that my body does not have time to deplete between carn nites?  I dont work out.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Could it be that my weekly carb nite affects that? I mean that my body does not have time to deplete between carn nites?  I dont work out.

Definitely.  CN is not meant to necessarily be a ketogenic diet.  Kiefer just said on a recent podcast that people "rarely" -- or maybe he said "very occasionally" -- get into ketosis doing CN.For what it's worth, I have been quite intentionally eating a ketogenic diet (no CN) for 3 weeks now, and I have never moved beyond green.  I have the Ketonix Sport, so it blinks a certain number of times within each level.  My blinks have been anywhere between 2 and 10 green blinks.  My average # of blinks per day has been rising, so I know I am making progress.  But it is a slow process.If your primary goal is to be in nutritional ketosis, a CN every week is not going to help that goal.If that is not your primary goal, I am sorry you wasted an awful lot of $ on a Ketonix!

Eidah
    Participant

Could it be that my weekly carb nite affects that? I mean that my body does not have time to deplete between carn nites?  I dont work out.

Definitely.  CN is not meant to necessarily be a ketogenic diet.  Kiefer just said on a recent podcast that people "rarely" -- or maybe he said "very occasionally" -- get into ketosis doing CN.For what it's worth, I have been quite intentionally eating a ketogenic diet (no CN) for 3 weeks now, and I have never moved beyond green.  I have the Ketonix Sport, so it blinks a certain number of times within each level.  My blinks have been anywhere between 2 and 10 green blinks.  My average # of blinks per day has been rising, so I know I am making progress.  But it is a slow process.If your primary goal is to be in nutritional ketosis, a CN every week is not going to help that goal.If that is not your primary goal, I am sorry you wasted an awful lot of $ on a Ketonix!

Thanks Curious for the info. I also got the ketonix sport and it goes green for up to 3 blinks. I see it as an investment because I plan to go for the keto diet in the future.

Just curious if anyone with the Ketonix has also tried it with the urine strips.I use the urine strips...they seem to indicate that I get into ketosis quickly... but I max the strips out most of the time. It wasn't that way when I started.  As you get more lean and muscular, it seems to get easier.  Also, after a carb up, I'll run the next day (HIIT) so that I jump start the ketosis.  If I do a seven day carb nite, I expect to be ketogenic 5-6 days.Supposedly after your body gets keto-adapted your body can get so good at manufacturing ketones that it doesn't produce excess ketones.  Haven't seen that, but wonder if I will.I don't eat much protein... use Whey and leucine to try and keep from losing muscle mass.  Seems to work.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Lance, I have never used the urine strips.  I started keto after reading Jimmy Moore's book, and it explains in detail why the urine strips are not a good long-term tool.  Because of what you just mentioned — eventually, your body doesn't produce the “extra” ketones that are showing up in your urine.  People will wonder what they are doing wrong, “why am I out of ketosis?!” when really, they have possibly gotten to such a greal level of ketosis that the urine strips no longer work for monitioring.The breath measurement with the Ketonix is supposed to correlate quite nicely with the level of beta-hydroxybutyrate in the blood.  The urine strips, not so much.  Sounds like they can be a great tool in the beginning, though -- for folks who just want to know "Am I in ketosis?"  Yes/No.

Thx curious, some stuff I didn't realize there.  May have to try the Ketonix.  Trying to push BG down and like seeing that I'm in deep ketosis (ketones inversely proportional to BloodGlucose).  Worried a little bit that I'll be all green… maybe the strips were telling me a fable!

bjjcaveman
    Participant

I did an experiment comparing Ketonix to Blood Ketone strips here in my Ketonix Review:http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/03/15/ketonix-review/Currently working on reviewing the Ketonix Sport.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Why low ketosis? If I am not eating any carbs, what am I burning then?????

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?