Cheese and dairy

• This topic has 9 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Scope75

Hahaha when I told my butcher if they have tallow.. he's like.. "uh what?".. I doubt he'd know what Suet is.. haha. But I'll ask. If he knows what that is.. I will give him the most bewildering surprise on my face.But all I told him was to give me any fats he cuts out from any meats. So I'm guessing suet will be part of it anyways.

Find a smaller butcher and you might even be able to get fats from non factory raised animals too.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Find a smaller butcher and you might even be able to get fats from non factory raised animals too.

Phffft. What's the guy's size have to do with it? 😛"Tallow" may be a term more familiar to old-timers. I'd think any butcher should know what suet is, no matter the shop size.

Heisenberg
    Participant

Shareef, the main reason why I chose to stuck with a narrow mind on this subject is from listening to this specific audio between Kiefer and Dr Patelhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OlXbY4kTDoButter and cream is something that has been championed to use on ULC. But this video says things about choosing superior fats over inferior fats. I've spents days.. hours.. $$ trying to find different inferior types of fats when I was on ULC.One of the worst cases of my research was looking for cacao butter. Wanting to try the flavor because of the chocolate subtly it'd add to my coffee.. I searched EVERYWHERE for it. I've literally spent 3 days looking for this inferior type of fat. When I found it, the thing costed $2.99 for 1oz. Do you realize how tiny that is?That's when it hit me.. why am I spending so much time looking for inferior alternatives.. just because of flavor.. when I have superior fats readily available and cheaper?That's not all.. Most butchers from grocery stores throw fats away in the garbage when they cut meats. For example, there's a BJ wholesale store where I live. Then I'd ask the guys who work there if they have any beef or lamb fat.. and they'll happy to give you some free of charge... they'll actually call you and give you a large package of fat! You can then use that fat to fry veggies.. wings.. burgers.. eggs.. and when you're done.. you can strain it and use it a few more time.

Wow that was a great video. Thank you so much for sharing! I always use heavy cream and butter but I have yet to try coconut butter. Whats the difference between the coconut oil and the butter? I'd imagine the coconut butter would have more carbs..?

Penny Danner
    Participant

Shareef, the main reason why I chose to stuck with a narrow mind on this subject is from listening to this specific audio between Kiefer and Dr Patelhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OlXbY4kTDoButter and cream is something that has been championed to use on ULC. But this video says things about choosing superior fats over inferior fats. I've spents days.. hours.. $$ trying to find different inferior types of fats when I was on ULC.One of the worst cases of my research was looking for cacao butter. Wanting to try the flavor because of the chocolate subtly it'd add to my coffee.. I searched EVERYWHERE for it. I've literally spent 3 days looking for this inferior type of fat. When I found it, the thing costed $2.99 for 1oz. Do you realize how tiny that is?That's when it hit me.. why am I spending so much time looking for inferior alternatives.. just because of flavor.. when I have superior fats readily available and cheaper?That's not all.. Most butchers from grocery stores throw fats away in the garbage when they cut meats. For example, there's a BJ wholesale store where I live. Then I'd ask the guys who work there if they have any beef or lamb fat.. and they'll happy to give you some free of charge... they'll actually call you and give you a large package of fat! You can then use that fat to fry veggies.. wings.. burgers.. eggs.. and when you're done.. you can strain it and use it a few more time.

Wow that was a great video. Thank you so much for sharing! I always use heavy cream and butter but I have yet to try coconut butter. Whats the difference between the coconut oil and the butter? I'd imagine the coconut butter would have more carbs..?

http://www.artisanafoods.com/faq/

Scope75

http://www.artisanafoods.com/faq/

No, let me google that for you???

cloudybrain
    Participant

Shareef, coconut butter and oil both have their own different advantages. I'd have both jars if I were you. I won't use coconut butter as a fat source.. like don't use it to replace fats. Use it as you would with peanut butter. I normally add this as a garnish to my food. Like I'd smother coconut butter on chicken breast, or put it on the side with a 6-18 oz steak.Though not sure how it relates to cacao butter.. which is the butter that comes with the cacao bean. Anyways..Instead of buying your own coconut butter, you can make it out shredded coconut. There aren't many local places around where I live that sells this stuff.. so a homemade version isn't bad. You can take shredded coconut.. (or crack open coconuts and carve out the flesh yourself).. and use a powerful blender or food processor. Then you do it the same way you do it with peanut butter.. you blend it. You blend it until it turns into a meal or flour.. and you keep on blending it. The oil will seep out of the coconut meal and will liquify the mix. You do not need to add any water.If the coconut butter is too thick.. then add 1 tbsp of coconut oil.. and keep doing it until you get the consistency you want.here's a few vids you can watch:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCWP-Z902Ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47uSNCUBhcNote.. the more coconut shreds you use.. the easier it is to make the butter. The consistency is sticky like peanut butter.. but has the flavor of cococut instead.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cheese and dairy

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?