Carb nite frequency

• This topic has 8 voices and 35 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Stephen Williams
    Participant

I just can't seem to find a crash. I just did high volume training and went 9 days ULC before having a carb Nite and managed to do a 10×5 superset the day of that Carb Nite. I don't know if I've gotten efficient running on ketones or what. This even includes HIIT.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Lol, you're not missing anything. 😀I didn't have the crash problem for a while either (maybe 60 days or so?). Was really glad when it stopped.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Mac, maybe I'm having trouble following what's wrong here,but are you saying you're crashing if you go longer than a week without carb nite?I'm also curious if you have any underlying liver or pancreas problems as well. Because if you do stretch your carb nites longer than a week, your body should be able to recover ketones for your energy so you won't go into a crash. Or if your body really needs glucose, it would be tapping into your muscle stores or use the protein you've eaten over the course of the day. Are you eating a higher amount of fats? Or higher amount of protein? It could be that your macros is out of wack. For some people eating a large amount of fat is the way to go, for others, eating a higher amount of protein yields better results.It might be that you're simply way too glucose dependent, and that your conversion from going from glucose to ketones is a bit sluggish.Personally, I see no problems with someone doing carb nite, and starting off with spacing out their carb nites every 4 days. But if they can't lose weight, they can incrementally increase the time gap by 1 day a week.I'm also curious on how you were feeling when you did the 10-day prep phase.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

OK, just to make sure we're clear on this…I AM NO LONGER CRASHING!1. My (weekly) carb nite is on Sunday.2. My (weekly) workout is on Monday evening.3. I have a small carb meal after the workout.4. Everything is working fine. Lol, and now the facts...I did a 13 day prep to get my first carb nite on a Sunday, and felt kinda scuzzy for the first week (always did on the Atkins diet).Then I had no problems for a while (as mentioned, probably 60 days or so, maybe longer), doing nothing but a weekly carb nite, with no exercise.But when I started working out a bit (Sunday, just before carb nite), it wasn't long until I was crashing big time every Thursday. And I mean really crashing (I could barely stand up from a chair). I tried eating more ULC foods, and all I managed to do was feel stuffed. And still crashed every Thursday.So I tried adding a carb meal on Wednesday evenings, and it stopped the crashing. So then I moved my workout to Wednesdays, and had the carb meal after working out. This seemed to work ok, but I only did that for a week or two, because Trevor posted the following:

Going into resistance training with low glycogen turns off some cellular signaling for muscle growth.

So I moved my workout to Monday evenings (the day after my carb nite), and then have a small carb meal after. That's where I am now, and it works great (so far).I'm 57 and do have heart problems (since I was 33), and that may have something (maybe everything?) to do with the problems I was having (my weight certainly didn't help either). And perhaps the workouts with no glycogen stores just put too much strain on the whole system. Dunno.All I know is that crashing was miserable. And now that everything is working ok, I don't plan to change things unless something goes haywire again. Hopefully it won't, because losing 200 lbs (or thereabouts) requires staying in this for the long haul.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Lol Mac, I'm not questioning you if you still have crashes. It just seems a little suspicious to me that you'd need an additional carb nite after your workout following a carb nite from the day before.You're NOT going into resistance training with low glycogen stores if you already had a carb nite the night before. The whole reason why people do HIIT training a day or so after carb nite, is to deplete those stores. Because when you have glycogen stores to deplete, it gives you a greater response towards muscle growth during the workout.I suspected that if you crashed, and eggs or milk never helped you, then you didn't get into a state of hypoglycemia, since you only workout once a week. I'm thinking it has something to do with getting into a keto-flu.. and I think that might have a correlation to your heart. Since an electrolyte imbalance might have been the ultimate culprit here.BUT!! Crashes are definitely a scary thing, and no one wants to go through an episode like that. But at the same time, we also want to go on a working diet. So  if you're not crashing and you're losing weight, I've got no advice for you there 🙂

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Lol Mac, I'm not questioning you if you still have crashes. It just seems a little suspicious to me that you'd need an additional carb nite after your workout following a carb nite from the day before.

I don't have a full-blown second carb nite, it's one meal, and more of a small backload (< 100 gms carbs). And it's possible I could get by without it, I just kept it when I moved the workout from Wednesday. But I'm happy with both my current progress and the way I feel.So, if it ain't broke...

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Carb nite frequency

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?