Am I diabetic? (very shocked)

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Eidah
    Participant

Hi friends.I never tested my blood glucose before. I started testing after I got into a ketogenic diet. I always got 70 to 90 fasted and always under 100 one hour after meals. I was keto adapted for a bout a month with no carb nites. I got 5 to 6 yellow on my ketonix.Tonight, I decided to have a full pizza and ice cream for the first time in a month. I tested to fined my blood glucose one hour after the meal 200. retested, 190. I am shocked and scared at this point.

Penny Danner
    Participant

That is normal.  It will be up after eating like that.  I'm friends with a woman who is doing graduate courses for nursing and hers are like that after eating on cn.  Don't panic.  Test your fasted ones again.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Eidah, this is completely normal.  I know you worry about diabetes, but IF you had read all of the stuff I told you about 😉 you would remember that yes, this is what is going to happen on CN.This does NOT mean you are diabetic.My first CN after about 30 days of keto, I tested at bedtime and I had the highest blood glucose reading I've ever had (since I got my glucometer and started testing).  Fasting blood glucose was a bit higher for the next 2 mornings, and then it went back into my "normal" range.You must remember that the ranges considered "normal", "diabetic", etc -- the ones you will find on any medical website's chart -- those are numbers that have come out of an average population, eating an average diet.  Keto is a whole new ballgame.  Physiological insulin resistance is what you and I have discussed in the past.  I know you have read that you need to eat carbs for 2-3 days before fasting bloodwork, or that your reading will look crazy and you may get a false diabetes diagnosis.I know you have read that.That is what you are seeing.

Eidah
    Participant

Thank you very much Pensguys and curious. Today my BG was 110 fasted in the morning. .Funny observation: My ketonix continued to flash yellow 3 to 5 flashes all night. This could mean two things. That the ketonix is a piece of ?@%  or that my body continued to burn the fat from the pizza and ice cream before the glucose ???? maybe because I am keto adapted??

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Eidah, my pattern was always this:Night of CN:  Still registered decent amount ketones.Next morning:  Even higher than the night before.NEXT night:  Ketones were way lower than normal.I don't think the Ketonix is a piece of crap.  I think our bodies just do interesting things that we don't fully understand.  🙂

Eidah
    Participant

Thanks much curious for the clarification. My ketonix readings are exactly like yours. 🙂 so to me, as long as the device is true to itself, its good enough.  🙂

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

My ketonix readings are exactly like yours. 🙂

I wondered if that would be the case.  Good to know!  😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Am I diabetic? (very shocked)

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?