Not Losing Weight? Is it an issue?

• This topic has 5 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,Height: 6'0"Weight: Fluxes from 223-231 throughout the week.  I gain a bunch on CN and slowly lose it until the next CN, but never seen to break through.BF: Approx 18-20? Really not sure, never been testedDiet: 2000-2400 cals approx 65% fat (diet is very much in order, only eat meat, eggs, cheese, coconut/MCT oil, spinach, broccoli, HWC, Butter)CN: Typically some mix of chips/salsa, potatoes, pasta, some type of confectionary dessertBackground: I've been on CNS for 7 weeks now, and I have not lost any weight.  This is not my first time using some form of a ketogenic diet, but it is the first time that I have not had any weightloss success.  I've been eating low carb for the majority of the last 5 years or so with probably a 3 month break each year.I am an experienced lifter, and I'm currently the strongest I've ever been and have gained considerable strength since beginning the diet.  Train weights 3x/week and HIIT 2 days (post CN).  I supplement with CS and whey post weight training and take a T3 Fuel, multi vitamin, fish oil, and green tea extract.  My current big lifts are belowBench: 265x5Squat: 305x5DL: 315x5I just don't feel like I look much better and am shedding fat at the rate that many others do.  I'm wondering if I should be doing something differently.  I feel like I know what I'm doing and am doing everything right, but not getting the fat loss results I want.  Can you guys provide suggestions?  Is it possible it could be a Thyroid output or even a low testosterone issue?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Something is wrong.  Your calories are pretty low and you should be losing weight, especially at your BF percentage.  What is your diet history like?

Richard Schmitt

Something is wrong.  Your calories are pretty low and you should be losing weight, especially at your BF percentage.  What is your diet history like?

+1 Agreed, any life stressors as well?

Diet history is I grew up eating a typical Western diet high and carbs and as a result battle weight issues for most of  my early life.  In college I got tired of being fat, educated myself and changed my diet accordingly to low carb and adding weight training and cardio.  I had a lot of success going from 240ish to 195ish.  I've worked out pretty consistently since (I'm 25 now).No real stressors in life. Good job, just got engaged, etc. I'm a pretty laid back person.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Diet history is I grew up eating a typical Western diet high and carbs and as a result battle weight issues for most of  my early life.  In college I got tired of being fat, educated myself and changed my diet accordingly to low carb and adding weight training and cardio.  I had a lot of success going from 240ish to 195ish.  I've worked out pretty consistently since (I'm 25 now).No real stressors in life. Good job, just got engaged, etc. I'm a pretty laid back person.

So you've been low carb since college?  I'd take a break from fat loss and just focus on getting stronger and adding muscle.  You can't perpetually be on a fat loss diet.  At some point you are going to stop.Try Carb Backloading instead.

Been on/off low carb. I discovered early on that my body does not tolerate carbs well, and I can gain weight very very easily by eating them. As a result, I go through phases low carb and moderate carb to give my mind and body a break.I feel like I have a good amount of muscle mass and honestly don't have much desire to get that much stronger.    My main goal at this point is aestetics, and I'd really like to diet down to a 10-12% range to really see my abs show through.  I just don't know how to make it happen.  I honestly feel like based on past experience, if I did CBL, I would just gain weight, but I'd be willing to give it a try for a few weeks maybe.I believe my ideal weight to be 200-205.  Is it a bad idea to try some fad type stuff? Only eggs for a week or 2? Fat fast post CN? Just to see if it can break the plateau.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Been on/off low carb. I discovered early on that my body does not tolerate carbs well, and I can gain weight very very easily by eating them. As a result, I go through phases low carb and moderate carb to give my mind and body a break.I feel like I have a good amount of muscle mass and honestly don't have much desire to get that much stronger.    My main goal at this point is aestetics, and I'd really like to diet down to a 10-12% range to really see my abs show through.  I just don't know how to make it happen.  I honestly feel like based on past experience, if I did CBL, I would just gain weight, but I'd be willing to give it a try for a few weeks maybe.I believe my ideal weight to be 200-205.  Is it a bad idea to try some fad type stuff? Only eggs for a week or 2? Fat fast post CN? Just to see if it can break the plateau.

I really disagree with you when you say you have enough muscle.  If you were a lean 220 I'd agree with you.  But trust me the aesthetic look you are looking for is likely much more muscular than you think.Plus the more muscle you have the better you'd handle carbs.  Also I'm not telling you to go on a high carb diet, because CBL certainly isn't high carb.  So stop trying to lose fat, gain some mass, and get your metabolism/hormones going again.  It won't surprise me if you get leaner anyways.  After doing this a while try Carb Nite again.One last point also is that folks that are constantly on low carb diets tend to never have impressive physiques.

I really disagree with you when you say you have enough muscle.  If you were a lean 220 I'd agree with you.  But trust me the aesthetic look you are looking for is likely much more muscular than you think.Plus the more muscle you have the better you'd handle carbs.  Also I'm not telling you to go on a high carb diet, because CBL certainly isn't high carb.  So stop trying to lose fat, gain some mass, and get your metabolism/hormones going again.  It won't surprise me if you get leaner anyways.  After doing this a while try Carb Nite again.One last point also is that folks that are constantly on low carb diets tend to never have impressive physiques.

+100

Going to give CBL a shot for 6 weeks and see what happens.  Should I expect scale weight to decrease still?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'd expect an increase in scale weight because you will likely gain water weight since you will be having carbs more often.  As long as you are eating an appropriate amount, you shouldn't be too bad.Also increase your calories gradually.  About 15% per week should be good.

Rob Haas

After reading through this the Mods are right on based on my own experience with low carb diets. I'm leaner now than I have ever been on CBL SA than on a ULC with once a week refeeds, and still dropping bodyfat.

Macdon1588
    Participant

I really like carb nite, but I have to tweak it.  I know the book advertises using junk food, but I'm losing the most weight I have in a while using moderate carb nite where my carbs are coming almost exclusively from fruit.  In particular, I eat pineapple, strawberries, bananas and clementines. Every now and then I have angel food cake. I also eat in a eight hour window every day.  On carb nite, my fast is longer and the low carb part is protein shakes.  So the reality is, my carb nite is low fat, and I always work out heavy that day.  I generally pick up seven pounds or so, and by the time I eat the next day, I've lost four pounds of water.  I've been at this run for about a month and every week on the morning on the carb nite, I'm about two pounds lighter.  During this time, I've also hit P.R.'s.  Other than horse doses of caffeine the only sups I use is epic gains and resveratol in the form of a sup called Res100.  When I can I do a little hiit here and there.I'm 6'1" and 213-217 and leaning out.  My strength gains tell me I'm retaining muscle.  It's a slow process but if you tweak it, it is worth it.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not Losing Weight? Is it an issue?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?