Carb Nite and Cardio

• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jesserian Dacumos
    Participant

So the book says “no HIIT” but what is considered HIIT?I'm a fairly avid cyclist, and most of my rides are in Z2/3 of max heart rate. I USED to be a sprinter, in which we had extremely short bursts of power, but I wouldn't call them intervals with the amount of rest we had between each attempt.That being said, can I still do my normal cardio (4~5 hours a week on a bike) when on the Carb Nite diet? I would assume that since this is similar to Keto, and there have been some Keto cyclists, I should be fine? I do have a "race" in a few months that will be a 5~6 hour ride that I'm training for, which is why I'm concerned.EDIT: I also lift 2~3 days a week.

---

You actually probably could do the 4-5 hours a week. That's not a ton.Ben Greenfield has some stuff, but a lot of the keto stuff you see requires you actually not carb up.However you can get some benefit training in a depleted state for your shorter work, then having your long rides the day after your carb up.

Jesserian Dacumos
    Participant

You actually probably could do the 4-5 hours a week. That's not a ton.Ben Greenfield has some stuff, but a lot of the keto stuff you see requires you actually not carb up.However you can get some benefit training in a depleted state for your shorter work, then having your long rides the day after your carb up.

Cool, thanks! Most of my rides are less than 2 hours long at a time (22 mile commute) Are these okay in a depleted state?I'll save any 2+ hour rides or double days for days after I carb up.Should I change my food intake at all on big days in which it's a 5~6 hour ride in one sitting?

---

Cool, thanks! Most of my rides are less than 2 hours long at a time (22 mile commute) Are these okay in a depleted state?I'll save any 2+ hour rides or double days for days after I carb up.Should I change my food intake at all on big days in which it's a 5~6 hour ride in one sitting?

22 miles you can probably do, are these every day? It will get tough.Also, all of this can get tough if you have really long sessions more than once per carb up. You probably don't need to alter your food intake. I cycle as well, but I also do carb backloading so I have carbs every day.My boss on the other hand does carb nite (mostly) and he will do a long ride onces every couple weeks. He has been experimenting with using exogenous ketones (ketoforce) and says it makes a large difference in his ability to handle long rides.

Jesserian Dacumos
    Participant

22 miles you can probably do, are these every day? It will get tough.Also, all of this can get tough if you have really long sessions more than once per carb up. You probably don't need to alter your food intake. I cycle as well, but I also do carb backloading so I have carbs every day.My boss on the other hand does carb nite (mostly) and he will do a long ride onces every couple weeks. He has been experimenting with using exogenous ketones (ketoforce) and says it makes a large difference in his ability to handle long rides.

No, not every day. I  honestly prefer to lift, so cycling has been pushed to the side. 20+ mile rides, maybe 3 times a week or so. I'd like to get back to riding 100+ miles a week (I used to ride much more), maybe at that point I should look into carb backloading, or will CNS be enough?My "long" ride (60 miles, one sitting) isn't for a few months out so I have some time to train.

---

Deirdre Salomone
    Participant

following this. I stopped doing my 3x weekly 20ish mile rides as it is my understanding that it will or can stall progress. I haven't lost much on CN, and really miss my bike rides…a lot. I may begin doing it again, as I feel so much better with getting on the bike. I really , really miss it.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Kipper, I think if it is something you truly love and it brings you joy…  You should be able to find a way to continue your rides.  What are your main goals with Carb Nite ?

Deirdre Salomone
    Participant

Hi, Thanks for your reply. My main goals are fat loss right now. I want to lose about #35 lbs -/+ 

Spatz

Where in the book does it say no HIIT?

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

Thinking back on it I think the book says it's not recommended (or maybe that's just steady state as HIIT wasn't too prevalent back then) but Keifer's since come out to say HIIT can be a good idea especially for two, maybe three days after CN?  That's what we've been doing and haven't noticed any negatives whereas if I don't do SOMETHING I seem to stall. 

Spatz

Thinking back on it I think the book says it's not recommended (or maybe that's just steady state as HIIT wasn't too prevalent back then) but Keifer's since come out to say HIIT can be a good idea especially for two, maybe three days after CN?  That's what we've been doing and haven't noticed any negatives whereas if I don't do SOMETHING I seem to stall. 

"But, in spite of anything else youmight hear or read, whatever you do, try to avoid high intensityaerobic exercise—running, cycling, jogging, rowing—while on The Carb Nite Solution." Pg 95.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBWvYRxgYg <--- HIIT Workout for Women using Carb Back-Loading or Carb Nitehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZev9g_N5Co <--- HIIT Workout for Men using Carb Back-Loading or Carb NiteSo no jogging, or running on carb nite, but HIIT is a good idea (if you're not overloading yourself with it AND lifting...)

Jesserian Dacumos
    Participant

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider most cycling as “high intensity” unless racing or climbing is being done. That being said, I'm just keeping with cycling and I'll see what happens. Lifting is prioritized over cycling for now.

---

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Carb Nite and Cardio

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?