Morning / Midday social gatherings

• This topic has 7 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Mervin Fernandes
    Participant

This question plagues me all the time. What do you guys do when you are at a social gathering around midday/morning with set food? Most of the food I see is non-CNS compatible i.e. cakes, biscuits, sandwiches etc. The only thing I can consider having is black coffee (with no sweetner as there is none of that either) 🙁this is also a problem during work meetings around lunchtimes where similar set food is again brought in (more sandwiches though). Up until now I avoid any of the food. But I hate the questions, "Why don't you have something?" etc. My standard answer has been "Oh, I'm full!" etc. But to be honest, it's very tempting to be part of it as some of the stuff they do keep is downright delicious  ;DSo the question is can I be part of it without disrupting the CNS? I don't want to go on the 10 day reset again just for partaking in such a lunch 😮 Is my only solution to abstain from these kinds of food on such gatherings?I'm quite surprised that this isn't a more common problem and there isn't a single thread regarding this issue.Any comments/help will be highly appreciated 🙂

Richard Schmitt

I would just avoid it. Bring something from home to either contribute to the “potluck” or get a sack lunch to actually have something. Or if you don't have a gluten allergy, pick apart the meats in the sandwich.

David M Pope
    Participant

This is a common issue that has been talked about several places, though generally in specific logs.I will say for me, I have no problem just saying, "No, thank you.  I brought my lunch." Or just, "No, thank you."  I'll typically continue to not eat until I have the opportunity to have what I brought for the day.  Bringing ULC snacks is also a good way to remedy the problem.  If it's a potluck-style get-together, even better!  Just bring in enough ULC food for others to have/try.You can always ask if people would mind if you brought what you have for lunch/meals to the event so as not to appear rude by not eating.  I don't get how it's rude to not want to eat what someone else made.  Especially in a work environment.  We're not related therefore I don't owe you any of my daily caloric intake lol.  But that's besides the point.Definitely understand that sometimes it's awkward for both you and other people (they don't like being reminded that not everyone eats like that).  Just remember that you're not eating the way you eat for them, you do it for you.

https://one.body.io/forums/topic/inchxinch-b2b-log-were-in-hell-gentlemen/

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Here's the deal:Occasionally indulging in foods that do not fit your diet is not a big deal at all.  However, the definition of "occasional" is going to vary based on things unique to yourself like goals, diet history, insulin sensitivity, size, diet history, ect.The thing is though, if you want to have a good physique, you are going to have to refuse food at social events.  You'll never survive in the fitness game if you have a crippling fear of sticking out or a fear of offending people.  The more advanced you get, the more you'll stick out and the more people will connect your behavior to your fitness obsession.  The others here have suggested ways to make it less uncomfortable, which is fine, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth.  I personally would just suck it up and deal with it.  I'm not armchair quarterbacking this either.  I deal with these situations at work and other places all the time.That being said, if these foods are you only option to eat (you didn't pack a snack) sometimes it's better to eat the junk than to starve.

Veronica C Harris
    Participant

Depending on what day of the week it is, I'll deal with it differently.If it's CNS, I'll stash away some of the goodies for later.If it's not CNS, I either don't go so I'm not tempted (holy cow do IT geeks know how to eat unhealthy) or I go and just don't eat.  If it's an option to bring your own, I do that.  Or if there's something I can eat, then I do that.I really don't give a rat's ass what they think about me not eating.  Nor do I owe them any explanation as to why I'm not partaking. 😉

You may have noticed that I’m not all there myself.
    ~The Cheshire Cat

Mervin Fernandes
    Participant

Thanks all. To be honest, I stay away from these foods anyway. During work, I always carry my own lunch so is not a big deal to slip away and have my lunch. Also the food is in a different room so no chance for temptation 🙂The problem is during impromptu social meetings, especially my kids school where they do keep delicious treats. I must admit it is highly tempting when it is staring right in your face  😉People do think I'm a bit crazy for missing out, and like many of you said I generally don't really care about what their opinions are.I guess I was looking for some "loophole" to indulge  😉 But then again I think I knew the answer all along.Just knowing that I'm not alone in this and there are other people with the same issue makes it better in a weird way. If that makes any sense  :-

Melvin McLain
    Participant

If you have enough warning and opportunity, try to stuff your face with something ULC before the occasion. Otherwise, you can keep jerky or something similarly non-perishable in your desk/car/whatever for emergencies.Just a thought.

Sara
    Participant

I rarely write on this board, but I have been on Carb Nite for almost two years now (with 1-2 week break roughly every six months for vacation and Xmas holiday). For me, I've had success by not even considering those carby treats an option. It might as well be dog food that is being offered. I am a big advocate of this diet and will be honest if anyone asks why I am not eating their treats. But to be honest, no one cares because I live in Seattle where a ton of people are into Paleo, vegan, gluten-free, organic, and other “restrictive” ways of eating, so it's not unusual to pass on the donuts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Morning / Midday social gatherings

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?