CNS and Acid Reflux/Heartburn

• This topic has 6 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

LegsMegs81
    Participant

Strange and painful thing has happened to me out of the blue…Acid reflux and heartburn. I've never gotten it before in my life so I think it's strange I would get it using Carb Night and eating clean. I've read the past posts relating to this topic and have begun to use some of the advice. But if I lay out my diet from the last couple weeks and days and my own suspicions I'd really appreciate any other insight I'm missing or advice I don't know of.High fat, moderate to low proteinDairy intolerance- eat only aged cheese but I haven't had any in the last 2 weeks...possibly lack of calcium?Coffee 2x a day- lately strong brews with shots of espressoHuge carb night this past Sunday- no gluten or dairyYesterday I took Zantac, Tums and it did nothing to help.Today I had no coffee, mostly Parmesan cheese, sauer kraut, apple cider vinegar, room temp water, and supplemented with Betaine HCL.I feel better today but still some discomfort, acid burps, low appetite.Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

High fat can cause stomach irritation and it can irritate your esophagus (heartburn).

TCB
    Participant

Vast majority of the time, reflux is caused by not producing enough stomach acid. So taking something like Zantac or another antacid is just compounding the problem, because it's suppressing your already low stomach acid.Look into some digestive enzymes to be taken with meals. NOW Foods Super Enyzmes are a good one.. It has some other things than just Betaine HCl in it, like papaya extracts and such. May help.Another thing to try is some pre/probiotics. Could be that your gut flora is dysbiotic.Also, with the apple cider vinegar, try taking a capfull or a TBSP or two right before a high fat meal. Should stimulate bile release.

LegsMegs81
    Participant

Thanks so much for the advice. I can't exactly stay away from high fat because that's what this protocol calls for. But I'll cycle back and forth between high fat,low protein and high protein,lower fat. I take a probiotic every day so hopefully I'm good there. I feel much better today- doing the apple cider vinegar, lower fat, Betaine HCL, cheese and sauer kraut. I'll check out the enzymes too thanks!

TCB
    Participant

Thanks so much for the advice. I can't exactly stay away from high fat because that's what this protocol calls for. But I'll cycle back and forth between high fat,low protein and high protein,lower fat. I take a probiotic every day so hopefully I'm good there. I feel much better today- doing the apple cider vinegar, lower fat, Betaine HCL, cheese and sauer kraut. I'll check out the enzymes too thanks!

Don't worry about the high fat. If that is the culprit, it's only because your body isn't producing enough digestive enzyme/bile. Supporting that will take care of it, and over time should help you body get back to a normal amount of production.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You also have to watch out on Carb Nite.  Sometimes you can eat too much and that can cause acid reflux.  As far as when you are low carb, eating a lot of vegetables can cause acid reflux too.

LegsMegs81
    Participant

You also have to watch out on Carb Nite.  Sometimes you can eat too much and that can cause acid reflux.  As far as when you are low carb, eating a lot of vegetables can cause acid reflux too.

Yes, I think you are right. My last carb night was very long and high volume, and accompanied  with lying down during. Most likely I believe is was the type of coffee I was having though. Because the heart burn didn't start till Tuesday (two days after a carb night) and right after having a strong-brewed medium sized depth charge 🙂 I was having those almost 5 times a week the past 2 weeks,which wasn't normal for me. Worst part was is that it Lasted from the initial morning coffee all day long till bed I had acid reflux and heartburn. Terrible, but I supplemented with Betaine HCL and apple cider vinegar for the past 3/4 days and I'm 100% now.Thank you for the advice and knowledge. Sometimes we gotta learn the hard way! 🙁

Jonathan Pineda
    Participant

Some of the stuff you mention could cause GERD/Acid Reflux/Heartburn.  Drinking things like coffee and or having caffeine can aggravate the stomach.  Foods like citrus/tomato/chocolate/fatty foods/etc all can cause that.  But I wouldn't worry too much about it perhaps more water can help.  I have GERD, but like I don't feel it unless I overate to the point when I am extremely full.

Rob Haas

Lovin the search function. Was up at 2am with acid reflux. Took a tablespoon full of apple cider vinegar and was able to get back to bed and sleep without that nasty heartburn. Cutting back on the coffee and cheese to see if that helps as well.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Lol.. I really wanted to add advice here.. even if it is an old thread, but you guys took really good care of itThe only thing I'd suggest is buying Prelief as well. If you eat foods containing high acidity levels.. Prelief neutralizes those acids. It helped me with my coffee episodes.Also, drinking too much water after you eat can cause some of that acid to go outside the stomach.. so drinking LESS water when eating is recommended. And it does get worse when you're digesting food, especially when you lay down (as you noted). So maybe wait a few hours without eating before going to bed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CNS and Acid Reflux/Heartburn

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?