CNS and Olympic Lifting Comp Training – Advice please!

• This topic has 3 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I was looking for advice maybe even critique please. I have just completed my first week of CNS. I depleted carbs for 7 days (I was paleo before this so carb depletion was no problem for me) and then I had my first Carb Nite last night which was just one of the best experiences ever!  ;D Anyway… that is the nutrition background… ...Now comes the issues I faced with my training. Below is an example of my training which I do 3x a week with my coach. It's intense but I do get to recover with days off between which are well needed. I found my last session yesterday really tough. Like trying to swim through mud. I need to be able to work at a % each week building up to my comp but I just couldn't hit my weights yesterday. My mind was in it but my body wasn't. Do you think CNS is right for me? Someone at my gym mentioned that he did back to back carb nites which he said you can do if you are at a low bf %. I'm now 19% (which is baffling me as I was 22% last week) and trying to get to 16-17% so I don't have much to lose.  I'm so confused! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! I am super excited about this way of eating BUT my training is soooooo important to me at the same time. If I can tweak it any way I would rather do that than abandon CNS completely. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.WARM UP:Defranco's Limber 11 and then...Band dislocates x 10Band Pull Apart x 20Snatch Complex x 1 (barbell only):Snatch Deadlift x 6Snatch Pull from below the knee x 6Power Snatch + OH Squat x 6Full Snatch x 6Perfect Snatch x 30 (low load – technique plates)WORK:1: Broad Jump (in lifting shoes)Week 2: 3 x 3 (60s)2: Hang Snatch Pull Week 2: 3 x 5 (60s)3: Hang SnatchWeek2: 3 x 3 (75s)4: Overhead SquatWeek 2: 3 x 3 (75s)5: Gym Ring Plank - add 15kg plate to your backWeek 2: 3 x 30s (60s)4. 4 Post Prowler - OptionalWeek 2: 6 x 10m @ 60kg (90s)

TCB
    Participant

How long have you been on your weightlifting program? If that's fairly new also, you could just be hitting the wall a little, like will happen regardless. I was doing a Catalyst Athletics cycle and backloading every night and still hit a wall, it's just the nature of weightlifting.However, if you don't think that is it, you could do a mid-week smaller CN. Say, maybe, half the size of your normal CN. Try that for a week or two and see if your workouts go a little smoother.Oh, and lastly.. how did you measure bodyfat percentage? If it was pretty much anything other than DXA scan or underwater, or maybe BodPod, then don't put much stock in it. (Those methods listed can have variance also, though nowhere near as bad as calipers and bioelectric impedence, etc)

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

How long have you been on your weightlifting program?

This.  If you have been at it for awhile, and you haven't felt like you were "swimming through mud" before, then I'd say you need to make a tweak or two.  Think about all other factors -- stress, sleep, overall calories/nutrition... and if the only factor that is really different is the carb depletion, I'd say stick with CN but try to do as TCB suggested --or-- you could try having your carb nite this coming week on night 6 -- the night before this workout day that you had so much trouble with.  If it were me, I would probably go that route.  If you notice a big difference, then congratulations -- problem solved!  😉  If not, well... we are back to "maybe you just hit the wall a little". 

Thanks guys. I've been lifting for 2 years and I know what “the wall” feels like. That, for me, is when my mind is not in it but my body is. Yesterday was frustrating as I was in the zone mentally but my body would just not do it. My speed under the bar was absolute dog sh*t and I was seeing stars in the bottom of the snatch position. Ok… so with regards to my diet, I will make little tweaks until I get it right. I will try the CN a little earlier in the week first and then go from there… Thank you so much!!! Btw, I have tanita bf scales. I don't take much notice of the number just the direction the number goes in  😀Again... thank you. I feel relieved I don't have to abandon ship. Phew!

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Please report back.  I am interested in knowing how things go for you.  🙂

I will. I think I will post it as a member log. I think this will help me a lot  🙂

TCB
    Participant

Thanks guys. I've been lifting for 2 years and I know what "the wall" feels like. That, for me, is when my mind is not in it but my body is. Yesterday was frustrating as I was in the zone mentally but my body would just not do it. My speed under the bar was absolute dog sh*t and I was seeing stars in the bottom of the snatch position. Ok... so with regards to my diet, I will make little tweaks until I get it right. I will try the CN a little earlier in the week first and then go from there... Thank you so much!!! Btw, I have tanita bf scales. I don't take much notice of the number just the direction the number goes in  😀Again... thank you. I feel relieved I don't have to abandon ship. Phew!

To me, there is nothing more frustrating than those days where you have a slow turnover. Drives me up the wall, I'd much rather have a weak legs day than a day where I just can't seem to get speed or something.But yes, since you're familiar with and adapted to WL'ing, I'd say you'd probably be good with a small CN mid-week. You said you train 3x/wk so if it's like M/W/F and you CN on Saturday, you could do your normal CN Saturday, then do a backload after your Wednesday training (Just a small CN, basically). You'd probably find your Friday training to be as good as Monday, then.

Much better today! CN fuelled Monday's are awesome! I was thinking today that maybe its my training schedule that needs tweaking first. What do you guys think about front loading training to the start of the week? I won't get as much recovery time but I could train Mon, Tues, Thurs. The rest on Wed maybe better than a CN mid week.

TCB
    Participant

Much better today! CN fuelled Monday's are awesome! I was thinking today that maybe its my training schedule that needs tweaking first. What do you guys think about front loading training to the start of the week? I won't get as much recovery time but I could train Mon, Tues, Thurs. The rest on Wed maybe better than a CN mid week.

My opinion is that since you said you have a coach, that is something to be discussed with them. That setup may or may not work with whatever their goals for you are.

I tried training Mon and Tues back to back… lets just say I won't be doing it again. Broken is a word I would describe myself today. Ha!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CNS and Olympic Lifting Comp Training – Advice please!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?