High fasting blood glucose readings on CNS

• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

digitalimago
    Participant

Hi,I'm now since 7 weeks on CNS.I have started monitoring my blood glucose since one week.And I find high fasting blood glucose in the mornings.I have seen this values: 101 mg/dL , 121, 130 (after carb nite), 110 and 131 (this morning).. It went up constantly the last days.I have had around 80g of carbs between 200g corn/rice and 60g sugar + a small portion of cooked fruit.One hour later I had 141 blood sugar and 2 hours later 131.So I’m not diabetic…Before CNS I had fasting blood glucose level about 90 or 95 mg/dL.Now the questions, perhaps somebody has some idea and can help me?:Do I need to be concerned about the high blood sugar reading? It does not sound good to me.I googled and it looked like physiological insulin resistance, because of the no carb intakes.Do I need to take in more carb? Like switch to CBL or CNS + extra carb refeeds after workouts?Can the high blood sugar readings get worser, because of the small carb nite I had this time?ThanksDeborah

case terrebonne
    Participant

You may be taking in too much protein. If I remember correctly the liver will break down protein and turn it into glucose if your fat intake isn't high enough.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

You may be taking in too much protein. If I remember correctly the liver will break down protein and turn it into glucose if your fat intake isn't high enough.

This is a good thought.  OP, what have your macros looked like -- do you know?  And how much do you weigh?

digitalimago
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.It is not the high protein intake.I was at around 60g till 80g protein.Carbs around 30g or lessFat around 130g.I tracked the food in myfitnesspal.After my post the values went up even more. I have seen 143, 134 blood sugar values.Then, some days ago, I decided to increase protein and carbs at night:Now I have upped the protein to 110/120g and also I have upped the carbs in the evening to 30g to 40g.Remaining low carb during the day.Now the values are better: 121, 114, 122... perhaps they are going down.I have found something this kind of information:http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.de/2007/10/physiological-insulin-resistance.htmlBut I suppose Peter was on a full ketogenic diet for a long period without carb refeeds.I'm trying now to up the carbs to see if this reverses. Seems like it could take up to 3 weeks.I'm also on a "low carb" type of diet (mixed up between 50g and 120g carbs) since about 8 years.I weight 59kg / 130 lbs. Around 25% body fat.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I have found something this kind of information:http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.de/2007/10/physiological-insulin-resistance.html

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

jjbell100
    Participant

Do not wish to confound but keep an eye on your sleep.  I changed nothing diet/training wise and found huge variations in my AM glucose depending on how sleep-deprived I was.I tend to need about 6.5 hours or a bit longer if training but there is quite a bit of individual variation so you will likely be different.

Eidah
    Participant

I have found something this kind of information:http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.de/2007/10/physiological-insulin-resistance.html

Curious and other friends, Does that mean that CN and ketogenic diets can cause diabetes? according to the article?

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Curious and other friends, Does that mean that CN and ketogenic diets can cause diabetes? according to the article?

Oh, my goodness, NO.  I will be back later if you'd like to discuss further -- but -- just, no.  Keeping insulin levels low, as you do on a ketogenic diet or CN, is ideal for treating and/or preventing diabetes.

Eidah
    Participant

Oh, my goodness, NO.  I will be back later if you'd like to discuss further -- but -- just, no.  Keeping insulin levels low, as you do on a ketogenic diet or CN, is ideal for treating and/or preventing diabetes.

I thought insulin resistance causes diabetes. So if being on a keto or carb nite for a long time makes you insulin resistance (when they have carbs) then it could cause diabetes on the long run. I know that CN and Keto will control blood sugar on the short run but what does it do on the long run? especially to people who have metabolic syndrome.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Eidah, I went back and read the article again and I read through MANY of the comments at the bottom.  One person specifically asked about Carb Nite, and Peter's response was good.  Too much for me to delve into at this point…  But if you are interested in learning more, I recommend reading through the comments on that blog post you are talking about.  Lots of clarification and deep thinking going on there.I am in the middle of reading Phinney & Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living right now, and I can just tell you that it is very scientific, it goes into great detail about insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, etc.  A great read if you are up for it.  If I find some good snippets I can quote here for you, I'll try to come back and do that.  But really, if you want to KNOW what you are talking about, I say get it right from the experts who have made it their life's work to research this stuff.In short, I will just say that my mother has been diagnosed with insulin resistance, she knows she is on the road to Type 2 diabetes, she is now on Metformin, and I cannot tell you how much I wish she would go ULC.  These diets are the answer to these problems -- not the cause. 

Eidah
    Participant

Eidah, I went back and read the article again and I read through MANY of the comments at the bottom.  One person specifically asked about Carb Nite, and Peter's response was good.  Too much for me to delve into at this point...  But if you are interested in learning more, I recommend reading through the comments on that blog post you are talking about.  Lots of clarification and deep thinking going on there.I am in the middle of reading Phinney & Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living right now, and I can just tell you that it is very scientific, it goes into great detail about insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, etc.  A great read if you are up for it.  If I find some good snippets I can quote here for you, I'll try to come back and do that.  But really, if you want to KNOW what you are talking about, I say get it right from the experts who have made it their life's work to research this stuff.In short, I will just say that my mother has been diagnosed with insulin resistance, she knows she is on the road to Type 2 diabetes, she is now on Metformin, and I cannot tell you how much I wish she would go ULC.  These diets are the answer to these problems -- not the cause.

Thank you so much Curious for that detailed response. I added that book to my wishlist and will read it.  🙂

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Eidah, someone posted this on another forum this morning and I thought it may be helpful for you to read, also:http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2008/08/physiological-insulin-resistance.htmlI think it is key for you to understand the difference between physiological insulin resistance and pathological insulin resistance.Folks on Peter's blog seem to agree that this is an overly-simplistic summary, but perhaps that is what you need, if you don't want to get into the (very deep) details:  (Copied and pasted from the comments section of above link -- bolding mine):"Dr. Michael Eades (a long-time LC proponent) suggests that the high FBG in low-carb eaters has to do with a lack of enzymes:It’s not really the “physiologic insulin resistance from fat” that causes the problem you describe; it is simply a temporary deficiency of enzymes. Virtually all physiological functions in the body are controlled by the enzymes that catalyze the various reactions required. Our DNA codes for all of these enzymes, all of which are proteins. Our DNA codes for many enzymes that we may never use because we don’t need them given our lifestyle, but the coding and ability to make them are still present. We send signals to the DNA that we need them when we need them, and our RNA/DNA system cranks them out. Such is the case with the enzymes we use to metabolize carbohydrates, which are different than those used to metabolize fats. If we are on a long-term low-carb diet, we don’t need the enzymes to metabolize a lot of carb, so we don’t make them. We do need the enzymes to metabolize fat, so we have plenty of those. If we take in a large load of carbohydrate, we don’t have the enzymes we need to dispose of the carbs quickly, so they remain in the blood as sugar a little longer, giving a glucose tolerance test reading that looks like that of one with glucose intolerance or outright diabetes. If we eat carbs for a few days before, we crank out the enzymes, which are then in place when we take the glucose tolerance test, and we get a normal reading. It has nothing to do with the fat causing insulin resistance; it’s simply a matter of lack of enzymes."

Eidah
    Participant

Thank you ever so much for the thoughtfulness and effort curious. I understand now. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

High fasting blood glucose readings on CNS

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?