Fresh air, daylight, movement for fat loss

• This topic has 2 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Brian Timlin
    Participant

I'm a great believer that fresh air, daylight and movement have a bearing on fat loss as well.You don't really hear it talked about but how much better do we feel when we get out and get some daylight, fresh air and get moving, whether that is walking, playing golf, camping or what ever.The physiological and psychological effects are pronounced.  I'm convinced this also affects fat loss.  And more oxygen is something that aids fat loss, we know that from exercise experiments.  There's a book called jumpstart your metabolism, lose weight by changing how you breathe by Pam Grout.  It is basically deep breathing exercises to increase oxygen levels.  Some people lost a lot of weight by this alone.Better health from all the above will also help metabolism.  Better mood will help balance appetite in the right direction up or down.Just thought I'd post this because I think it is also important and often overlooked.  So many of us get trapped in an unhealthy life or work cycle and forget some of the pure basics of health and weight control as we start a diet or new gym program.

cloudybrain
    Participant

That's a matter of personal preference though.. and gets you through a good mood. But some of us are unfortunate of having long work hours stuck in an office all day.If we're going to talk about weight loss and what it takes to get to your goals, you can't use your own beliefs to help others.. you need to bring about an extensive study that explains the mechanisms of how it works within your body to the cellular level.. detailing the effects on your hormones.. thus creating an ability to lose that weight.Now.. stress is a big factor in weight control, and if you're mentioning this based on controlling stress, thus taking better control over your cortisol hormone, then I do see how it can work.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Common sense is just as important as studies.We can't always quantify everything, there are often too many variables.Most people do diets to get healthy as well as lose weight.  Are you telling my fresh air, daylight and movement don't help your health?  Do you really need a study to confirm that?There are plenty of studies on negative ions from fresh air helping your cells, daylight adding vitamin D, negative ions and movement helping circulation, lymph system etc.  These things affect metabolism because they impact hormones, circulation etc.  All bodily systems are interrelated.What I think a lot of science types don't get is that it is not all about one direct correlation in life or details.  The big picture is a factor as well.  If you don't zoom out a lot as well you can't see the forest from the trees.Regarding long hours you don't have to go mad, getting out for a half hour can make all the difference.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Yeh but think about the reason why we're in this forum.. some of us has been on diets that hasn't worked for us.. they say going on detox.. or high carb low fat diet is common sense.. eating apples to keep doctors away.. eating fruits every day and staying away from saturated fats is common sense. I've heard tons of misinformation out there, from parents to friends.. and the logic would make sense. I come here, then all of a sudden we have well informed people who do their research, read studies, provide back up on truths that blew away all that common sense.. that's what I was looking for when I was to search for a diet that I could stick with.I personally know tons of people who work in offices all day, but they don't look unhealthy. In Buffalo NY, I can't tell you how many days during the winter I'd go without sunlight.. because of the short days where the sun would go down at 4:30pm.. limiting myself to indoors for less than 5 mins due to how cold it can get. Yet during the winter, I was still able to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle.In retrospect though, I have thoroughly enjoyed camping and vacationing out in the wild. And to me, it helps with moods and stress. Plus the oxygen is way more fresh.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

I respect where you are coming from, but I didn't say everything people say is common sense.Not everyone has sense, in fact most people don't.  ???All I'm saying is that some things clearly help, so it is common sense that they help on many levels. You are dead right that there is tons of misinformation, but a lot of that is not based on anything, common sense or otherwise.  It probably started from parts of the food and drug industry.Getting all these factors studied properly may take a lot of time, because we live in a world where studies are very slow unless someone can make a buck from it.  We have a major problem with that, especially in health and all related issues.However, we don't always need the science, like you don't need to know how to turn on a light bulb for it to work.  If it works then great.For many other things like detox and so on, we are going on trial and error and if things may make sense (for the moment anyway).  I believe there is something in detox, because a bit like nutrients it is fundamental that we get certain nutrients and get rid of waste and toxins.  I've also gotten some good results with it.  But then again, it all depends what detox we are talking about.  I'm sure there are loads of ones that are a crock and don't do anything.End of the day, the best way to prove anything is with results.  Then things start to add up.  If you do enough n=1 then you can actually still make a lot of headway imo, but it does take time.We don't have great scientific systems at the moment, much of it is infested with business interests, but we can still make accurate enough deductions to make good progress with the studies we have, experience and using good logic.  I believe if you spend enough time trying at anything, getting experience, reading and thinking about it, studying it etc. then you start to get a feel for the whole thing.For example, in my own experience with diet, I studied and tried most of them.  I got results and failed at other times.  My conclusion was it was all about calories in calories out because that was the only common thread with success for myself and others I saw.  I also found that I needed to have high protein, more fat while low calorie to get the best fat loss and muscle sparing.  And a refeed at least once per week to help restart metabolism.Then I came across Keifer and as we know he has found ways to manipulate hormones and partitioning to great effect, which takes it to a different level than simply calories, starvation and refeeds.  I definitely think we have a new frontier in diet, fat loss and body recomposition.My idea is that if we didn't have any studies we wouldn't have a reference, without results we wouldn't have any reason to validate hunches or research.  I think we need both or at least experience and feedback of what works (for each person, most or some).I also think you can reach a point that you can see truth right away, because you've seen enough details, have enough experience and have a decent picture of how things fit together.This is getting very philosophy of science now.All I said was fresh air, daylight and movement are a good idea.  🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fresh air, daylight, movement for fat loss

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?