Low carb fiber options aside from psyllium fiber

• This topic has 7 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

kdyall

Good Day All,I have been on the carb night solution diet plan for almost a month now (24 days) and lost a total of 18 lbs. I started to gain weight on day 21 and I ensured that I was monitoring that my daily carb intact was between 20 to 25 grams. On day 22 i got a sharp pain on my side and when I checked the scale again I had gained weight again and my stomach had started to swell. I went and researched my conditions online and realised that i was constipated - badly. I took 2 dosages of psylluim fiber capsules (1 dose on the night of day 22 and one on the morning of day 23) and had no bowel movements. Since the pain intensified, I went to the local pharmaceutical company and purchased some Benfiber. Fortunately for me, Day 23 was my carb day because 1 serving of Benifiber has 2 usable carbs per serving and it took 4 servings for me to have a single bowel movement. After taking to my mother and cousin (former nurse and practicing doctor respectively)they told me to keep using the fiber for a 2 week period until the pain stops. I would like to take a lower carb content alternative to the benefiber so that I don't pass the 30 gram limit. Can anyone suggest any options?

Richard Schmitt

I suggest you stop taking those, they really don't help much at all. Look into getting some magnesium citrate like Natural Calm, and taking a heaping dose with plenty of water. Also look into getting NOW Foods Digestive Enzymes. Normally being ULC, eating enough fats can help “lube” the intestines to help everything flow. 

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I suggest you stop taking those, they really don't help much at all. Look into getting some magnesium citrate like Natural Calm, and taking a heaping dose with plenty of water. Also look into getting NOW Foods Digestive Enzymes. Normally being ULC, eating enough fats can help "lube" the intestines to help everything flow.

I actually really disagree with this.  While being ULC does seem to lower my fiber intake, I've found that I need 10-15 g of fiber each day to not be constipated or have diarrhea.I wouldn't recommend psyllium, but there are some foods that I would recommend to jack up your fiber intake:-  Almonds or Almond Butter-  Sauerkraut, very dense source of fiber and if you get the raw kind, tons of probiotics-  Coconuts Flakes or Coconut ButterIf you want tasty, quick way to jack up your fiber intake mix some dried coconut flakes with almond butter.  You should get around 7 g of fiber.  Have this with a steak and you got yourself a nice ULC meal.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Eating one fair-sized helping of lettuce/tomato salad a day works well for me (3 diced roma tomatoes per 1 head of shredded iceberg lettuce is the ratio we use).We use mayo as the main dressing, but sometimes add a bit of ranch/whatever to vary the flavor (just keep an eye on the extra carbs)._

Richard Schmitt

I suggest you stop taking those, they really don't help much at all. Look into getting some magnesium citrate like Natural Calm, and taking a heaping dose with plenty of water. Also look into getting NOW Foods Digestive Enzymes. Normally being ULC, eating enough fats can help "lube" the intestines to help everything flow.

I actually really disagree with this.  While being ULC does seem to lower my fiber intake, I've found that I need 10-15 g of fiber each day to not be constipated or have diarrhea.I wouldn't recommend psyllium, but there are some foods that I would recommend to jack up your fiber intake:-  Almonds or Almond Butter-  Sauerkraut, very dense source of fiber and if you get the raw kind, tons of probiotics-  Coconuts Flakes or Coconut ButterIf you want tasty, quick way to jack up your fiber intake mix some dried coconut flakes with almond butter.  You should get around 7 g of fiber.  Have this with a steak and you got yourself a nice ULC meal.

Fiber does help, just the certain types and agree. I just know that having enough fats can help, it does me at least.

kdyall

Thanks for the suggestionsI usually eat around 1/2 cup of broccoli or baby spinach every and also I eat either 25 almonds or peanuts while drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day,I also had the cheesy biscuits (1 or 2) for breakfast (A recipe I found on the home page of this site) which has some fiber as well.I am going to try castor oil this evening and if that does not work I will have to go in to a doctor formally

Phatty

Broccoli, spinach. Most greens, really.

mazdak merrikh
    Participant

I just gave a tablespoon of mct oil and chug a half liter water and magic happens

kdyall

Tried the castor oil and it worked 🙂Unfortunately I may have to redo my re-orientation phase since I fell of the bandwagon on Friday (when to a luncheon at work and had to eat the food available - all carbs) Thanks again for the help - I will try to double my fiber portions to prevent a re occurrence of this happening again

cloudybrain
    Participant

I made my own concoction of flaxseed (meal or whole), almonds, coconut flakes and I blended the whole thing into a creamy paste. This is actually how you make peanut butter (using peanuts).. almond butter (using almonds).. and coconut butter (using.. uh.. coconut flakes).the end result gets you a creamy texture - the same as you'd get with peanut butter.. and the taste is pretty awesome.Side note.. while you are blending it.. I'd use a food processor or a very powerful blender.. and inspect the texture. If its too solid.. then add a bit of coconut oil.. and keep adding until it thins up into a creamy paste. Another cool thing about this.. is you can make it crunchy.. coarse.. or smooth 😀Oh.. and use sea salt, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg for flavoring.I went with the triple fiber for a while.. and I'm trying to stay away from purchasing any more manufactured goods.. they are pricey that way. Making your own foods is so much healthier and cheaper.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Low carb fiber options aside from psyllium fiber

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?