Fish oil – reducing the taste and burps

• This topic has 2 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

cloudybrain
    Participant

So I used to take fish oil pills because I disliked the fish oil taste in my mouth. The capsules are cool because it dissolves in your small intestines instead of your stomach (which causes the burps). But a few weeks ago, I was reading an old kiefer interview saying that we need 5g of dha and eha combo. Which lead me to believe that the fish oil liquid is more superior.However, right after opening the bottle.. I get that rancid fishy taste. It is pharmaceutical grade, and high quality. But it tasted horrible. And I started to gag.. almost made my throw up in my kitchen floor.So here are a few things I've been trying that helped.. but didn't solve the problem entirely.1. Don't use the refridgerator.. use the freezer (since it's colder). The more frozen the fish oil is.. the slower the breakdown of the fish oil, which reduces the fish oil burps.2. Take dietary fats, like animal fats and coconut oil before consuming fish oil, and those dietary fats gives the stomach a better reason of release more acids.. allowing the fish oil to be dissolved with it. Plus, the extra fat will allow the fish oil to stay in the intestine more when it gets there.3. Don't take it all at once. The bottle says a 1 teaspoon.. mine is potent as it takes 1.5 teaspoons to get 5g of DHA and EHA. The cheaper the bottle, the more teaspoons you might need. As far as benefits goes, it doesn't matter if you take it all at once, or throughout the day. But as far as taste goes.. as you separate the supplementation into smaller portions, less fish oil will be dissolved at once.4. Don't take anything that gives you indigestion before taking fish oil. This includes alcohol and spices.Lemme know if you guys have any other advice. I've tried putting in a squirt of lemon juice in there.. it kinda helped.. but the lemon was way too overwhelming. I was also thinking about adding garlic, ginger, horse radish.. or something with a stronger pungent taste.. but I was thinking.. this would probably work out for people who are recluse and totally anti-social.

Rob Haas

I can confidently tell you if you are burping it up the stuff has gone bad. The type of fish they get the oil from deteriorate very fast if not handled properly. I know I used to work on a commercial fishing boat and if they were not on ice right away they went bad in a few hours.Buy good quality fish oil or go with krill oil. Krill oil is more bio-available according to Dr Rhonda Patrick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDzLFzuotiE

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I buy the Ultra Omega 3 from NOW.  It has the highest concentration of Omega 3's out of any fish oil I've ever seen (75% EPA/DHA). Also I've never got burps from them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish oil – reducing the taste and burps

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?