Problems with recovering

• This topic has 4 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Caleb Basinger
    Participant

For one reason or another, my body is taking a really long time to recover after workouts (regardless that I have cut down how many I’m doing).  Also, even just a couple hours on the Tennis court are causing me a lot of soreness and fatigue, and this use to never happen after just 2 hours.FYI, I have been on CNS for 5 months.Is it possible that at some point I stressed my central nervous system, and now I'm not giving it enough time to recover?If this is the case, how should I go about a full recovery?  Should I just rest for 10 days and take in a few more carb nites for the glucose?Thanks!Caleb

Recovery will be much slower while on CNS regardless.Carb's play a role in not only muscular recover but nervous sytem recovery and decreasing over all fatigue.

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

A few things I've found help while maintaining low carb is alkalinizing(I do lemon water with Splenda and pink Himalayan salt once a day, and greens in my pwo), Zinc and Magnesium supplements before bed(ZMA), hot epsom salt soaks after workouts that are prone to giving me back issues(squats and deads days), and of course making sure you're drinking enough water and sleeping enough. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What are you doing for training?

Caleb Basinger
    Participant

Lifting without experience...I've been doing a full body dumbbell workout with the heaviest weights I am able to do.  (Probably dumb)I basically watch this video and follow along.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kj7WUeqK7cI was doing 3 times-a-week and was doing pretty well, at first.  I started to do less days, as I wasn't able to do as much volume or as heavy with subsequent workouts.Also, I was doing one of these workouts just before my Carb Nite, not after (which I found out was probably dumb also).Otherwise, I walk about 4 miles several mornings a week (fasted).I had been trying fartleks on the spinning bike (morning fasted), but I end up hypoglycemic after my 2nd 30-second sprint and feel like garbage.In the short term, I'm thinking of resting from all of it for 10 days, and maybe even adding a couple more Carb Nites to make a better recovery.  Any thoughts you have on this plan, ibobland08?Thanks.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Lifting without experience...I've been doing a full body dumbbell workout with the heaviest weights I am able to do.  (Probably dumb)I basically watch this video and follow along.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kj7WUeqK7cI was doing 3 times-a-week and was doing pretty well, at first.  I started to do less days, as I wasn't able to do as much volume or as heavy with subsequent workouts.Also, I was doing one of these workouts just before my Carb Nite, not after (which I found out was probably dumb also).Otherwise, I walk about 4 miles several mornings a week (fasted).I had been trying fartleks on the spinning bike (morning fasted), but I end up hypoglycemic after my 2nd 30-second sprint and feel like garbage.In the short term, I'm thinking of resting from all of it for 10 days, and maybe even adding a couple more Carb Nites to make a better recovery.  Any thoughts you have on this plan, ibobland08?Thanks.

I'm sure your plan is ok, though I would strongly recommend barbell training over what you do, but if you don't have much lifting experience, how do you know your recovery is impaired?It's not clear if you exercised before, but if you jumped into a exercise program that includes resistance training three days per week and fartleks every day, on top of dieting, I can see why you aren't feeling well.  It takes time to develop the ability to handle a training load like that.My next question is how much are you eating?

Caleb Basinger
    Participant

I'm sure your plan is ok, though I would strongly recommend barbell training over what you do, I am looking into doing StrongLifts 5x5 when I get back into it.but if you don't have much lifting experience, how do you know your recovery is impaired?It seems like I've been getting weaker. I can't lift what I was doing at first. I keep decreasing the weights and it seems like all I can do.My next question is how much are you eating?I haven't been keeping good track of this.  I eat a lot of fat, but there might too much protein in my diet.I was eating bacon or sausage with 2 eggs each morning, and coffee with heavy cream.  Recently, I'm only doing the coffee with heavy cream.Lunch or dinner is a ribeye steak with greens.  The other non-ribeye meal might be chicken or fish smothered in butter with greens (also smothered in butter).I also snack on a lot of butter (by itself).

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It sounds like you could be eating more, but it's hard to say since you don't really keep track.  As far as getting weaker, most likely you are overtraining.  By that I don't mean you are exercising too much (though I would ditch the fartleks) but if you work up to a maximal effort on every exercise, every training session, your nervous system will get very fatigued.  This generally isn't a problem with new lifters, but if you are doing this three times per week on the same exercises it can happen.  This is especially problematic if you are doing low rep sets.I didn't watch your youtube video because it's too long, so I don't really know what you are doing.  For your workouts, I recommend doing 3 sets per exercise.  For each set, use a weight you can handle for two more reps than what the set calls for.  So if you are doing sets of 8, use a weight that you can handle for 10 reps.  Despite "feeling easy, this still triggers a hypertrophic response and it stimulates your nervous system to get stronger without obliterating it.That being said, strength and muscle gain have to take a back seat on Carb Nite, so you probably won't get much stronger or muscular as long as you are on this diet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Problems with recovering

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?